Sunday, June 18, 2006

THRONE OF JADE and other notes

THRONE OF JADE by Naomi Novik was sucessfully completed last night, and thoroughly enjoyed as well. The writing is smoother in this sequel, but it is a different sort of story from the first. Much more cerebral, as it takes on different issues from the time period, such as the British abolition movement and diplomatic relations with China. It was interesting to see the complex culture that the Chinese dragons have, but at the end, I was left wanting more rather than feeling fully satisfied. This works as a middle volume of a trilogy (or rather, the second volume of a series, now that it's been extended to a six book length), but it doesn't totally stand on its own. Luckily, the story appears to continue in rapid sucession in the third book, BLACK POWDER WAR, so now I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

In other news, I went through a great deal of my backlogged partials (partial manuscripts) last night, so much correspondence will be going out via Monday's mail. Next up is finishing a much-belated revision letter for one of my clients, but that shall come after I celebrate Father's Day with my family.

1 comment:

Jodi Meadows said...

Awesome! I've been eyeing those books, and everyone tells me I should read them.

Now I really want to go to the bookstore and have a big book accident. *grin*