Monday, July 03, 2006

Hello from Pittsburgh!

It occurred to me tonight that I haven't posted in about two weeks, and that was just wrong. I have some big news that is brewing, which I'll be writing about on Wednesday, probably...

For now, however, I have hijacked my friend Isaac's computer and am posting from to you all from the city of Pittsburgh, which is where my boyfriend and I are for the holiday weekend. This is really the start of my summer travels, although I suppose that attending Balticon on Memorial Day weekend could count as well. Next weekend, from July 7th-9th, I'll be up in Massachusetts at Readercon. Then, from August 22nd-27th, I'll be in L.A. for Worldcon. I'm also going to be at a local RWA event in Ithaca, NY on September 8th-9th (95% sure on this one). I have tentative plans to also go to World Fantasy, but I'm not sure yet about it. I may sneak one or two other conventions in there too, but we'll see.

For the first time in six years, I'm not going to attend Otakon, which is the giant anime convention that takes over the Baltimore Inner Harbor and Convention Center. I've gone for the past five years, and with my added abundance of SF conventions and writer's conferences to attend, I decided that it was time for a break. Part of me wants to go still, since it's become a tradition to see my college friends at it, but I'm actually able to visit the majority of them in Pittsburgh at the moment, which is nice. Most of them graduated from Carnegie Mellon University and then became staff, effectively never leaving Pittsburgh. =)

I'm currently enjoying my weekend of reading, video games (Guitar Hero is most interesting, although I am truly atrocious at it), and getting a chance to catch up with everyone. My boyfriend and I have been trying hard to convince them that they should all move to NJ with us, but alas, several of them seem determined to head out to Seattle sometime next year.

So, what is everyone else up to this summer? Will I get to see some of you at conventions? Do you have plans to visit family? Are you going on a wild tour of Europe (as my younger brother just did)? Details, dear Readers, details. =)

9 comments:

Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

Hmm...I'm eager to hear your Wednesday news. :-)

Speaking of RWA, I'm gearing up for RWA National in Atlanta at the end of this month (just blogged about that today--GMTA). And my hubby and I are still wishing we could teleport back to Thailand, where we honeymooned in May. Otherwise, we're keeping a watchful eye on all the wildfires around here and looking forward to winter, when we can ski again...

Jodi Meadows said...

Sounds like you're going to have a fun--and busy!--year. I hope you make it to WFC. That's the only convention I'm going to this year (I have family in Austin, at least at the moment), and I'm looking forward to meeting *everyone* there.

I'm holding my breath for the big news on Wednesday. (So let's hurry it comes soon, because I might turn blue by then...)

Livia Llewellyn said...

What's going on?

Clarion. Panicking. Clarion. Panicking. Clarion. Panicking. Clarion. Panicking.

Oh, and some writing and stuff. :)

Gord Rollo said...

Hi Jenny,

I've still got a few conventions to attend myself this year. I'm a guest at this years Horrorfind Weekend of Terror in Baltimore (Hunt Valley) in mid August, then I'll be attending World Fantasy as well. Can't wait. I love the cons!!!

Looking forward to hearing your big news too...

Gord

Jordan Summers said...

You would think that strumming and matching colors on a screen wouldn't be so hard, but it's everything I have to get through 'I Love Rock & Roll' in easy mode on Guitar Hero. (shaking head) *g*

No travel plans beyond RWA at the end of the month. Friends and family are coming in from Scotland in the fall, so that should be fun. We so need a vacation.

Catherine Morris said...

Hi Jenny!

I'm just going to RWA Nat'l in a few weeks, and then have five blessed months of no scheduled travel. That's a relief after Jan - July, which were full of conferences, trips out of state and out of country, etc. I love travel but I also love HOME.

Tonight, Erik (bf) and I are taking the canoe out on the lake to watch the fireworks. Another of my favorite things! The lights reflect off the water, it's cool and breezy (hard to come by in Austin in July)...

Hope you and yours have a happy 4th!

Jenny Rappaport said...

livia, are you having fun at least? =) And how are Chris Cevasco and Brad Beaulieu and all the other writing/publishing people I know doing?

jordan, I feel your pain! I can play precisely one song, which is "I Want To Be Sedated", and that only on Easy. My stupid boyfriend picked up the controller, on the other hand, and was brilliant at it. I blame his ten years of viola training during his childhood.

News is coming later today, folks...

James Dashner said...

Jenny, I'm so jealous you get to go to so many events. Have fun, and hurry and tell us what your career plans are!

I might, key word might, be going to Worldcon in August. Brandon Sanderson is putting together a group to go from Utah, and he's reserved a few hotel rooms. I hope I can work it out.

By the way, Brandon just had a YA series go up for auction and got big bucks. He's really going to be something.

Aliette said...

I am so jealous there isn't a decent English-speaking convention in France ;)

What am I up to this summer? Mainly the day job, sadly. It's interesting, but not a patch on a wild tour of America :D