Thursday, August 31, 2006

We're going back, baby!

Lockheed Martin has officially won the NASA contract to build a new lunar vehicle, and sometime, in the future... we're going back to the moon! =)

NY Times lunar story

I doubt I could find this book again, but when I was in fourth grade, in Mrs. Dabbs' class, I read a book about vacationing on the moon. It was essentially a tourist guide, for how to enjoy your lunar vacation; it was hilarious, that I remember, and it had these funky black and white illustrations. The things you find in classroom libraries...

There's more fourth grade memories though. I remember joining the Young Astronauts club, where we got to build shuttle models and do all sorts of space-related stuff. And I have always wanted to go into space; to see the Moon and Mars and go beyond into the stars. Which is why I think the new space contract is so important... because maybe one of these days, I'll get to be that excited fourth grader again, and travel beyond the Earth, before I die.

(Note: Apparently my blog template's CSS is causing strange formatting for some portions in Firefox; I am working on fixing this. Bear with me, as I don't know tremendously much about CSS.)

3 comments:

Mary Robinette Kowal said...

Yay for the moon!

By the way, I view your blog in Firefox and haven't noticed any formatting problems.

Marsha Ward said...

My fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Jolley, had this awesome space ship in her room. It was made of steel pipes welded together, and you could actually climb inside and ascend to the cockpit and instrument panel in the nose. She used it as a reward for getting your work done quickly and well, and it worked!

Jenny Rappaport said...

Mary, apparently the bulleted lists are showing up with both numbers and bullets..