Monday, September 18, 2006

Delayed Odd News posting

So, the latest Odd News posting is a tad delayed, but it's lovely to see that the old thread is still getting comments! =) Since I haven't been reading much that's sparked my interest lately, I've decided that I shall offer up to you a series of facts, all based on recent happenings in my own life. Enjoy... maybe there's a story in here somewhere...

  1. It is possible to break Safe Mode for Windows XP. Chris managed to do so earlier tonight.
  2. Water damage from hanging plants can cause paint to flake away from the drywall around your window sill, until you can actually see the metal corner pieces under the drywall (this, btw, was the old owner's fault, not ours).
  3. The deer in my parents' suburban neighborhood are so domesticated that my father can now mow the lawn and the fawns will stand there and just continue munching away.
  4. My little cousins (ages "almost 5" and "two and a half") now own a baby silver ferret named Rocky. Note that it's illegal to own such a ferret within the confines of New York City. The odder fact is that the ferret is now living in a household that also contains two overweight and neurotic toy poodles, plus several Russian Dwarf Hamsters. Something is wrong with the food chain in this picture... aren't ferrets carniverous and shouldn't the hamsters be fearing for their lives...?
  5. Planter's Dry-Roasted Peanuts are no longer just peanuts and salt, but actually contain spices on them now. In order to obtain plain peanuts and salt (as was needed for my Evil Peanut Cookies), you now must buy Planter's Cocktail Peanuts... we now own a lot of extraneous peanuts.
  6. And finally, all query letters from prisoners are handwritten, as apparently typewriters or computers are lethal weapons and not allowed.

15 comments:

BuffySquirrel said...

A pen or pencil can be a lethal weapon, too.

The deer remind me of the Fawn in Alice, which is happy to be her friend all the while it can't remember that it's a Fawn and she's a little girl. As soon as memory returns, fear returns.

Jenny Rappaport said...

But apparently pens or pencils are less dangerous than more technologically-advanced devices, since they let the inmates have those.... =)

Dan said...

The ferret better watch out if the obese poodles start exercising and training...

Jodi Meadows said...

aren't ferrets carniverous and shouldn't the hamsters be fearing for their lives...?

Yes! But I'm sure they'll be fine if they're kept in different rooms. My ferrets (all seven of them) have their own bedroom from which they can never escape. They know nothing of Sammy The Hammy (who just arrived yesterday), and that's the way it will stay.

(In Cali, where it's also illegal to own ferrets, there are still plenty of people who do it, and take the monsters to the vet. The vets won't report them, if you get the right one. Or since your cousins are just in the city, they can probably go out of town to get Rocky vet care.)

Yay Rocky! Welcome to the world, buddy!

Oooh, you got me started on ferrets. Dangerous!

BuffySquirrel said...

Ferrets have keen noses. I wouldn't be so sure that they know nothing of your hamster :).

Jodi Meadows said...

Hehe, Buffysquirrel, I'm sure they know a little about her, but I do wash my hands between animals (at least the preditor/prey animals) and during playtime last night, they didn't act differently at all. No new smelling of my hands or anything. So either they don't know, or they don't care.

:)

Catherine Avril Morris said...

Do your cute little cousins have to go to New Jersey for their ferret food? Seems like someone could set up a sting operation in an NYC pet food store, to entrap anyone who buys (illegal) ferret food...

Um, Jenny or Jodi in CA, why are ferrets illegal?? I'm sure there's an excellent reason, I just can't imagine what it might be.

Jodi Meadows said...

Catherine, their official reason is that ferrets are harmful to the environment and all these horrible things would happen if the ferret got loose. (That's the Cali reason. I don't know the NY reason.)

The fact is, though, that ferrets are descented and spayed/neutered before they leave the breeder, so it's not like there will be a zillion babies running around. And ferrets are fully domesticated and dependant on humans, so they'll die in a week of not being cared for unless they know how to hunt. Most don't. Mine don't. (And they look at raw meat like it's poison.)

Heh, you found my hot button. I could go on for days. :D

Jenny Rappaport said...

Jodi and Catherine, I don't know where they intend to get Rocky vet care (somewhere, I'm sure), but I know that they bought him in NJ this past weekend. As to why they're illegal, I'm not sure. They may technically be allowed in NYC, but I remember that there was stuff on the news about ferrets as pets a few years ago.... they're not looked upon kindly.

Ferrets are sort of cute, but I've never met one in person... I don't know if I'd like one in real life.

jonathancresswell said...

Cougar sightings are recently being reported in Ontario, long after the species was declared to be extinct in the region. One theory is that their niche is being repopulated by escaped 'exotic' pets (cougars, pumas, or even jaguars).

No food chain survives contact with intelligence. :) And a major measure of Darwinian fitness worldwide is now how attractive to humans an animal is. (Try running a Save the Flap-Nosed Vampire Bats campaign.) So, in 300 years, is it going to be just us and the food yeast, plus thirty-seven other surviving species, all with fluffy fur and big moist eyes?

BuffySquirrel said...

Never mind the Flap-Nosed Bat. Try suggesting to people (even ones who live miles inland) that we should Save the Sharks.

Sharks desperately need a new image (and a new name). Maybe Sharkettes. Toothy Goofies. Top Fish.

Jodi Meadows said...

Hah! Jenny, if you like two-year-olds, then you will like ferrets. Really, they're the same thing. And they listen about as much. ;)

Kiwi said...

What's all this fuss about biodiversity? For God's sake look around you, people; there are monkey's in the White House, a particularly well trained poodle residing (tentatively) at 10 Downing Street, ... and the list goes on and on and on. Frankly, I think I'd prefer 'Yeast', intelligent humanity and thirty or so furry, doe-eyed critters to what we have presently! And maybe throw in a shark, a few stingrays, bats—I like bats, a weta or three, ants …… whoops, got to run, the FBI are at the door. Land of the free and 'diverse', yeah right!

BuffySquirrel said...

There's nothing tentative about that poodle's residence at Number 10. His claws are firmly hooked into the carpet.

Kiwi said...

Gods that's funny. Seriously, I laughed for ages. Buffysquirrel, if you are not in print already, then you bloody-well should be!