Friday, October 20, 2006

If you live in NYC and are a woman...

.... I would recommend taking advantage of this offer today.

Free mammograms, people. You know you need them, and if you've been putting them off because of the cost, this is the time to go get one. Breast cancer, thankfully, doesn't run in my family, but a very close family friend passed away from it years ago, and I strongly believe in preventive screening. It is never too early to get checked out professionally, especially if you have a family history of it.

7 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You go, girl!!!!

One of my local indie bookstore owners just revealed that she's got a recurrence, in the other breast this time (she's now shooting for a matching pair).

Doesn't matter if we're linked to books or not, we're all important people. Get checked out. Don't leave it up to fate.

Bernita said...

Every two years I meet the Russian Lover...

Kimber An said...

Also, if you have babies and it's an option for you, bear in mind that breastfeeding decreases your risk factor too. No, I'm not a Nursing Nazi! Just thought I'd throw in a tip.

James Dashner said...

My mother in law caught it early with a mammogram, and is fully healed.

Kimber An said...

James, your family is very blessed.

Manic Mom said...

If I lived in NYC, I would go, but I don't. However, I get a mammogram every year!

Thanks for this message!

Anonymous said...

Totally! It's awesome that someone is offering the free exams. Too many women put it off. My grandmother has a masectomy about 12 years ago... I still remember the time she took of her shirt to show me her fake boob! Kind of creepy... and enlightening at the same time. I'd much rather have my grandmother breastless, than not to have her at all.