Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Give a book

Every year, for about the last four years or so, I've gone into my local Barnes & Noble at this time of year, and bought a book. Not just any book though--a book for a child who wouldn't get one otherwise. All of the B&N stores have gift tags that are linked to local charities, which you can pick up at the front of the store usually. Each will have something written on it, like "Boy, Age 2" or "Girl, Age 15", and it's a really simple system. You look at the age and sex on the tag, and then you pick up a book that would be good for that person. Then, you bring the book to the register, hand it to them with the tag, pay for it, and they collect it for your local charity. It's a great program that gets books into the hands of readers who might not get them otherwise.

My purchase this year was for "Boy, Age 2", and some little boy in the Freehold, NJ area will be receiving a copy of OWEN AND MZEE: BEST FRIENDS. It makes me happy to do this, and you should go forth and spread the happiness too. Reading a book is one of the most precious gifts that you can ever give a child.


Anonymous said...

Mine was a boy, age 15 requesting a copy of a Langston Hughes biography. That request really impressed me.

Anonymous said...

I work with the Mentally Retarded population and buy various gifts for them, out of my own pocket, of course. I bought about 20 gifts this year. Yikes and I work for the State! So I'm poor to boot! My clients labeled Severe or Profound cannot read, but some of them labeled Mild and Moderate can, so they could benefit from those.
I have one client who is an avid reader of romance. I gave her some but she reads them so quickly. I don't have anymore because I am NOT a big romance fan, so I have to find her some. I read and write mostly horror, and she doesn't like those. Happy Hanukkah to you! I'm Christian, not Jewish but just thought I'd tell ya!