Monday, December 04, 2006

Hello from the depths of e-mail

Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted anything. It's been a busy week; this is the last push for getting client projects out to editors this year, so I spent most of last week on the phone. That and doctors' appointments. I mentioned recently to one of my clients that I have a couple of chronic medical conditions (fibromyalgia being the main one), and that for some reason, the appointments to see my doctors cluster together every few months. Last week just happened to be one of those cluster points.

And may I say that the most depressing/bad of all those appointments was the dentist, who told me that I've developed the first cavity that I've ever had in my life. I go back on December 18th, for them to fill it, and oh dear god, they have to drill. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Anyway, on to agenting stuff, I suppose. Are you wondering why you haven't heard back from me yet? I currently have 76 e-mails to reply to in my inbox, 189 e-queries to reply to in my Queries folder, and stacks of snail mail that are threatening to take over my desk. I'd take a picture of it, but I think it might frighten people. =) It's gotten to the point where I keep having to take Zoe off my desk when she climbs up there, since she can't get good footing and ends up slipping quite a bit. That, and she tried to climb on top of my quite-expensive, almost-brand-new, all-in-one printer thing... no kittens allowed on that!

What does next week look like, you ask? Well, I have approximately five billion editors to call, so that I can get my last two projects of the year out: a nonfiction book (which just rocks, in my opinion) and a SF novel. In fact, I have to finish reading the rewritten version of the SF novel first, before I can start getting it to the editors I want to send it to. I have my mountain of mail to conquer! I have a scarf to finish knitting; said scarf is a Hanukkah present for my mother and was started in Fall 2004, and is not yet finished. My mother is getting impatient waiting for it. =)

I also have an anime column to write, an extremely patient client in Illinois to get back to, and Hanukkah presents to shop for.... T-11 days and counting! Oh, and a book contract to finish negotiating and some goats that need to be sacrificed for the sake of an anthology that I desperately want to get sold. If no one has ever told you, mammalian sacrifice is what keeps the wheels of the publishing industry greased. Mmm, goat blood.

Finally, before I go off to try and get some proper sleep (the kitten and I took a long nap together today), I'd like to add that this past week's episode of "Battlestar Galactica" was lovely. Not only did it play around with an interesting narrative device, what with the boxing matches and the flashbacks, but oh! Lee and Kara! Please allow me my mushy moment of happiness, as Chris already heckled me during the episode while we were watching it. Any other BG fans out there? Come on over and tell me what you thought of it!


DanStrohschein said...

They should change the name from Holidays to Busydays LOL Not enough time in each day, and all that. Good luck on getting the anthology sold off.

In the meantime, yes I love BG, and am sorely pissed that my DVR (the only way I can watch it) crashed and completely dumped the last four episodes I had yet to watch! Gah! So what about Lee and Kara??!?!! no wait, don't tell me. No wait, please tell me. Ack I can't make up my mind! Damn you, gods of horrible cable service!

Kristin B said...

Don't worry about the drilling. The worst part, really, is the novacaine shot--and that's just thirty seconds or so of minor pain. I usually just close my eyes when I know the needle's coming, 'cause that makes it a tiny bit easier. But I promise, it will all most likely be a lot easier than you expect.

Take it from someone who stopped counting fillings a long time ago, and now has a total of three crowns. Yes, that's right--I'm 10% of the way to dentures.

celerysoda said...

I'm a fellow BG viewer, CMU alum, and (obviously) reader of your blog! And I have to say... Lee and Kara make me want to barf! They're so self-absorbed it drives me crazy. As my husband says, Lee's a "total meathead," and what the heck is Kara's deal besides being, apparently, totally f'ed up? Poor Anders was apparently just a Lee surrogate (no surprise that Lee and Anders kind of look alike). BLAH!!! Throw Lee and Kara in the brig, and give me more Cylon action!!!

Fourteen Year Old Writer said...

Hey! You mentioned your amount of e-queries. Is your policy still snail mail, unless an international writer?

M. Takhallus. said...

Re: dentsists. Everyone experiences pain to different degrees and densstists are really full of it on the topic of what they like to call "discomfort."

Don't let your dentist tell you it's in your head if it hurts. If it hurts -- at all -- demand more novocaine. They pull this with me every time, try to get by with a single shot on the outside edge, tell me it's numb, act like I'm crazy, and then when they give me the second hit on the interior I'm suddenly, magically no longer suffering from psychosomatic pain.

Dentists. They're worse than editors.

LadyBronco said...

I love BG!
I have not seen the last 2 episodes (homework from hell for my current class), but I can't wait!
Lee annoys the hell outta me, but I think Kara has promise.

Barbara Sheridan said...

stacks of snail mail that are threatening to take over my desk. I'd take a picture of it, but I think it might frighten people. =)

Oh go for the scary pic, Anne and I want to see if we can spot our envelope--sort of a publishing Where's Waldo ^__^

The dentist will be a piece of cake take it form someone who has been in that chair too many times.

Jenny Rappaport said...

I love both Lee and Kara... I can't help it!

And Fourteen Year Old Writer, I definitely prefer snail mail queries over e-queries, but there are still many people out there who don't follow directions... =)

Ben S. D. said...

Yeah, I hear that. I got my first TWO cavities of my life a a few years ago (at the age of 26), so that was kind of a shock. But my dentist, as pricey as he is, was pretty amazing, and I'm guessing yours will use the same technique...

The painful part isn't the drilling (you're all numbed up for that); the painful part is the NUMBING UP with the novacaine. However, instead of using this one intimidating needle, the dentist applied the novacaine with tiny little pricks applied with his fingers...almost like he was massaging the gums, not attacking them with something sharp.

It was 40 minutes to fill both cavities, and I swear, I didn't feel a thing. I felt a TINY bit with the numbing up, but not much at all. No real pain. I'm willing to bet that's a common way of administering novacaine now. :)

kiwi said...

Jenny, just a thought vis a vis queries. Have you ever thought about having a “closed” period sometime during the year? You know, something like; agency will be open to queries between February and November each year. Queries received after November 30th and before 31st of January will be deleted unopened. Thank you for your consideration.

Agents are people too, and gods, you’re allowed some down time!

Rebecca Burgess said...

Yes, I too love BSG, and I'm so not a SF genre loving kind of person. I really think most everyone's acting chops have improved drastically since the mini-series and the writing has also gotten better. I can't quite put my finger on just what it is about this show that brings me to the couch Friday after Friday. The layers? Thematic elements? Character development? I'm going to go with all three and add that because this show is strong in these areas I have forgiven it a multitude of sins such as poorly written and executed dialogue as well as the occasional bad actor that seems to get progressively worse. But in truth, I love this show and think it is, along with Lost, one of the few shows worth watching. BTW, I was also titillated to receive this last gift of an episode revealing just why Starbuck and Lee had been at such odds. Frack, I wish it were Friday.

Kendra said...

Take your iPod to the dentist's office. It's amazing what a little distraction can do. Or ask for nitrous oxide (laughing gas). Some patients go to the dentist just for the laughing gas. It's good stuff.

Anticipation of the injection is worse that the injection. It's not the same needle your doctor's office uses for shots. It's a microscopically skinny thing.

The key is for the dentist to inject the fluid slowly. Dentists who inject fast cause pain as the fluid create space in your tissues. Expect it to take 30 to 60 seconds. It stings a little only at first.

Fillings are more boring than anything. I think you'll be surprised at how smoothly it goes.

Let us know. Good luck.

Ben S. D. said...

Wait, wait...I just noticed. I think I might "rock."

Do I "rock," Jenny? ;) I mean, I always knew I did, but it's good to have verification.......heh.

BernardL said...

I must agree with your enjoyment of Battlestar Galactica’s fight night. I’ve truthfully never watched a sexier scene of two people beating each other’s brains out. :) The threads running through each phase of last Friday’s show were captivatingly complex.