Sunday, December 31, 2006

Informal poll

I've mentioned before that I actually kept track of how many books I read in 2005, and that I finished the year with 142 books read. I'm of the mind to do it again this year, but before I start cluttering up this blog with book lists, does anyone care what I've read? Do you want to see which books I'm reading? Answer simply by saying "Yes" or "No" in the comments.

Otherwise, I'll just put it in my LJ, like I did the last time.

Oh, and the rules for what counts as a 2007 book. Any book that I've started in 2006, of which I've read less than a third, counts. For example, that includes GUNS, GERMS, AND STEEL, which I'm still making my way through, as well as KRAKATOA and TERRIER. It does not include THE PENDERWICKS, since I have precisely one chapter in that left to go, and which I intend to go finish after writing this post. Also, manuscripts do not count as a book read. It must be in a bound form, either an ARC or an already published book.

13 comments:

S. W. Vaughn said...

Yes!

BuffySquirrel said...

Yes :).

If you like Guns Germs and Steel, you might like
Greek Fire, Poison Arrows and Scorpion Bombs by Adrienne Mayor.

Chris Coen said...

I made my way through most of Guns, Germs and Steel before my eyes started glazing over. I had a specific reason for reading it - to learn more about what has to happen to create a society and why things happen the way they do, as a means of deepening my worldbuilding - and, since the portion that specifically dealt with the building blocks of societies was done with in the first third, I lost interest. I hope it proves more interesting throughout for you.

Jodi said...

Yes! (of course I will just keep up on lj if it turns out to be an overall no, but somehow I don't think it will :)

December Quinn said...

Yes!

kiwi said...

Yes. Always good to know what lit. agents are reading.

McKoala said...

Yes.

Would also like to know your opinion of what you have been reading.

Harry Connolly said...

Yes.

kiwi said...

Jenny, I know this is a little off track, and I apologize if you find it inapproapriate, but while we're on the topic of books worth reading, I recommend to everyone here that they take a trip to Buffysquirrel's blog and read her short story "The Grey." Believe me, it's worth the trip.

Ben S. D. said...

Sure. I have several on my list I'm working on (Joyce, Conrad, Milton, Marquez, etc.

Much better I see an impressive list, because my yearly number would be comical in comparison. ;)

In fact, I just started reading The Divine Comedy for...um...the first time...

...

........

'runs away'

Don said...

Go ahead. My policy is a book is a 2007 book, if I finished it in 2007.

Scott Marlowe said...

Yes.

Anonymous said...

You definitely should! Seeing as two of the books you've mentioned, I recently read and loved (Penderwicks and Terrier). Hopefully, I'll get some more good recs. :-)