Tuesday, January 16, 2007

DRM Stuff

This opinion may seem a bit odd, coming from someone who works to protect authors' rights for a living, but I agree with what's said in this piece. Personally, I think the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) is a piece of crap.

[Addendum to Query Ratio post]: I've been greatly intrigued by the mathematical genius skills of Ben Parris, faithful blog commenter here at LIT SOUP, and I'm actually going to sit down and count all of my damn paper queries tomorrow. Then, when I get through them all (which may take me the better part of the week, but hopefully not), I'll be able to give you the ratio of partial requests :query rejects. I'm doing this purely to satisfy my own curiosity, and there's no way in hell that this will happen on a regular basis.

So rules of the game: All snail mail queries that I've received through January 13th will be counted; anything received afterwards will not be counted. No e-queries will be counted in this at all. If I feel up to it, after I go through all the queries, I may do the same math for the partials that I already have sitting in my office; once again, nothing received after January 13th will be counted for this informal statistical study.

6 comments:

Simon Haynes said...

As a published author with rights of my own to protect, I'd like to publicly state that I don't support DRM either.

Gord Rollo said...

Hi Jenny,

I appreciate you tallying the queries to partials ratio. I think it is a useful statistic. Ultimately meaningless when you have to factor in one month you could get great queries and another you might get all terrible ones, but still, I think on average it is a worthwhile number to have on hand.

It would be interesting to see how/if the numbers change as the process continues too. As in, how many partial requests turn into full manuscript requests, and then how many of those make it to representation. Not asking you to do all that - I realize you have a life (grin) - I'm just saying it would be interesting to see.

Bests,

Gord

Ben Parris said...

lol. I hope you don't think I was nudging you for that. If a funny thing pops into my head, I just say it (even if it involves looking something up).

Anonymous said...

lol. I hope you don't think I was nudging you for that. If a funny thing pops into my head, I just say it (even if it involves looking something up).

Ben Parris said...

Please ignore the repetition. I'm still having some difficulty getting comments through.

BuffySquirrel said...

I can see the results of the results now. "Don't send your ms to that Jenny Rappaport--she only asks for partials on 1% of queries. Try her boss--she asks for 1.1%!"

*scuttles off*