Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The mandatory kitten update

So many people at the SDSU conference asked me about Zoe's health, so I figured that I would reassure all of you that she's doing better. Still a bit sniffly and we are still wiping her nose quite frequently (literally), but she's doing ok. She's not eating a tremendous amount at the moment, but that's a combination of the fact that she's teething and has also decided to go into heat.

Yes, go into heat, you heard me right. My five month old kitten is apparently an early-bloomer. This is not a delightful fact. She is scheduled to be spayed, microchipped, and get her rabies shot on February 22nd, and at the moment, there's nothing we can do but wait. Zoe is happily scenting everything in the house, using her scent glands, as well as walking around and occasionally trying to encourage imaginary male cats to mate with her. So, so delightful.

And have I mentioned the yowling? Do you wonder why I'm up at 5 am? That is because every time I have tried to go to sleep tonight, I am barely drifting off, just on the very edge of sleep, and then Zoe starts yowling at the things outside our back door. Yowling very loudly. And very often.

And the worst part is that there is nothing I can do for her. There's no way in hell that we'd even let her mate with another cat (I mean, there's a reason we've had her spaying appointment scheduled for the last month already), and she can't help the fact that she has hormones. Although I have been taking great joy in the fact that when I pick her up to comfort her, I can whisper sweet nothings into her ears, largely consisting of, "And soon you will have no more reproductive organs, my dear." I'm an evil, evil cat mommy. =)

9 comments:

barista brat said...

i've read that you can "trick" females in heat into thinking they've mated, but it involves a thermometer and a steady hand.

honestly, i'd rather put up with the yowling.

DanStrohschein said...

Oh you poor things - well you know, they are a pain, but we love them. Wait until you get to the What-The-Hell-Was-That-Disgusting-COLD-Slimy-THING-I Just-stepped-In-at-5AM?!?! part of living with cats. It's so incredible, and I SWEAR our carpet used to be white...

On a writing note - can you post what turns you off about synopsis papers? What's too long? What is it synopsis-wise that will land a person in the rejection pile?

BuffySquirrel said...

Dear me, never mind. On the upside, they can often be more affectionate when they're in heat than at any other time. My parents had a cat who loved everybody when she was in heat. Oh my. (oh except her son, kept in the family--he got scratched)

Kelly Swails said...

Just wait until the male cats come sniffing around the back door. Then she'll really go nuts.

Oh, and danstrohschein: I completely agree. There really is nothing worse than stepping in cold cat puke on your way to the bathroom at 3 a.m. Especially when it squishes in your toes. Arrgh! My husband and I have four cats (!!!) and yeah, our carpet used to be white, too. Now it's more ... camoflouge.

Anonymous said...

You're not an evil cat mommy - you're a responsible cat mommy.
Sam

cm allison said...

I agree with Anon, you're responsible, not evil. Even our barn kitty (who wouldn't have it any other way) is spayed. The house kittens are spayed and fixed.

Nicole Kelly said...

I feel your pain. I had my dog go into heat a day before her appointment. I suspected fowl play on her part. ;)

Tess said...

Glad to hear Zoe is better. As for the heat, you could try tiring her out. Before her apptmt, Cleo went into heat and I made her run around after a string for three hours (tired me out too *g*) - she stopped yowling etc for the following 10 days until she was spayed. Not sure it will work with Zoe, but might be worth a try!

Southern Writer said...

Jenny, you've got to come over to my blog and read "Sex Kitten." I so understand what you're both going through. I won't spam you with a link, but should you decide to take me up on it, you'll find a link to it on my sidebar under favorites. No, "most googled" I think.

I'm glad Zoe is getting better, but sorry the rest of you are sick. Here's a pot of virtual chicken soup.