Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Onwards, Spam Warriors

To make my life easier, I would appreciate it, if you could clearly label the subject lines of any e-mail that you send to me. A good number of queries have been appearing among my mountain of spam, and I'm sure that I've inadvertantly deleted some in the effort to get rid of it all. I have been trying to skim through the subject lines of the stuff that gets sent to my spam folder, but there's a lot of it; if your subject line is clearly labeled, it will most likely jump out as something I should double-check, to ensure it's spam-ness. Today, for instance, I magically rescued someone's query that was labeled something along the lines of "N. American rights"; Yahoo decided that this made it a fine piece of spam, especially since it was sent from a European nation.

Clarity in subject lines==a lesser chance of being consigned to spam hell.

You may all now return to your regularly scheduled programming. =)

10 comments:

Bernita said...

Does "Query+ title" evade the spam filter?

S. W. Vaughn said...

Ah-ha! So, when we send out a batch of e-queries, and never hear back from nary an agent, we can blame the spam filter, right? *G*

BTW, Jenny, I am still looking patiently forward to your post about hooks. I'm definitely curious about what hooks you -- other than, of course, not arriving in a blaze of spam. :-)

Richard White said...

Jenny,

I sent you a question about my partial on 07 Jan. I was wondering if you rescued it from your spam filter or if I should send it to you again.

Thanks!

Rich White

Jodi said...

Some spam filters think everything is spam! *sniff*

(And now everyone who's waiting on a reply from you will sit there wondering... Did her spam filter eat it? Is her spam filter plotting world domination? Do we think the spam filter can do it? Man oh man, it's enough to give a girl nightmares! ;)

Chumplet said...

My spam filter on my home computer is excellent, and I can create a rule where anything that has 'query' in the subject line automatically goes into my Writing folder.

The filter at my place of work is another matter. Stuff that shouldn't be spam sneaks into the spam folder, and it randomly misses other pieces of crap that should be spam.

kiwi said...

There's an easy way to avoid the stress associated with email queries, people; send hard copy.

If the agent doesn't reply within six weeks, assume it got lost in the post or the answer is a no and move on. Hard, i know, but it's the nature of this industry ...

Isn't reality a bastard.

Don said...

I'm with Kiwi. I have enough experience with e-mail not getting through that I just don't trust it for anything important unless I've determined that I can get through (and even then, sometimes things change).

I only do hardcopy submissions, and I don't include an e-mail address for replies (I do, however, include a SASE).

kiwi said...

Don, great blog; I like your politics.

Karen said...

If you didn't get my January 6 status query for CELANDINE'S WINGS, please email me at karenkincy at hotmail dot com. Thanks for your time.

Karen

a commcercial writer said...

If it doesn't at least say "query" you probably don't want to read it anyway. Don't fret.