Monday, January 15, 2007

Query ratio

People often ask me how many books I ask to see the manuscript for, after reading the initial query letter. Let's take tonight as an example... I spent a couple of hours attacking snail mail query letters, while I did laundry, and these are my results....

4 requests for a partial manuscript
Half of a large Old Navy shopping bag full of rejects

Do the math yourself. =)

And never fear, if you're still hanging in limbo about your query... I'm not done with all of them yet, and I haven't started the e-queries yet. So yeah, lots of rejections, but there's still hope for you, if I haven't read yours yet. And nothing gets mailed until Tuesday morning, anyway, courtesy of MLK Day (which I am taking off, due to my dental appointment and the fact that Chris has off).

8 comments:

Kimber An said...

Do you represent Romantic Science Fiction?

December Quinn said...

Wow...thanks for sharing this with us!

Gord Rollo said...

No worries, Jenny. I still have one or two fingernails left to chew on:) Kidding. Take all the time you need. I'll be here when you get to me.

Bests,

Gord

McKoala said...

Question from the curious - do you mail your partial requests in the SASE provided or do you use e-mail/phone?

Jenny Rappaport said...

McKoala, I tend to e-mail my partial requests, but that really depends on my mood. I don't currently have a form letter made up for those, as I tend to personalize each request e-mail a bit. It may change in the future though.

Ben Parris said...

Ok, ok, I got this one...

The average snail query arrives in a #10 envelope measuring 4 1/8" X 9 1/2" and has a thickness of 2mm (gotta convert that).

The average Old Navy bag runs to 15" x 17", opening out to a max of 14" diameter before stretching. They are made of polypropolene, which has an elongation factor of 100% and an ultimate tensile strength of 40 megapascals.

Is the answer 42? I give up. I got nuthin. What was I thinking? I have dyscalculia!

McKoala said...

Thank you!

I have a great word verification, maybe appropriate to me: nhduh!

D. L. Rankin said...

Hey, Jenny. Great info. What's your average turn-around time for responding to queries, and is there any way you could post a copy of a successful query letter? Maybe an actual letter that one of your best clients used to hook you?