Friday, January 05, 2007

Treading Water

You know that feeling, when your workload starts to look like it's developed a life of its own, and is preparing to consume you, as it cackles, "Stupid human!"? That's my life today. =) I've been trying out the Time and Chaos software that Kristin Nelson recommended, and I've got to say that I really like it. Except for the part where I look at my list of tasks and my eyes go wide and I'm just like, "Eep."

People often ask what my day is really like; in all honesty, it varies depending on what I've got to do, and where I've got to be. Yesterday, for example, I had a very nice editor lunch in the city, which sucked up most of my work day in travel time. Today, for example, I've done the following so far:

Woken up and felt like I had been run over by a truck.
Was forced to get out of bed anyway, by the concerted efforts of kitten and fiancee.
Gone to two different doctor's appointments and read manuscripts in each one's office. (Travel time, back and forth, is a bitch.)
Came back home and fiddled around with e-mail stuff.
Sent flowers to a client in the hospital, after tracking down which hospital said client was in.
Wrestled with the printer to make it print my receipt from the flowers, and eventually gave in and restarted the computer.
Wrote this blog post.

(Now, I'm going to eat lunch after this post, as I read a manuscript!)

After lunch, I'm going to do the following:

Call two different clients, which I anticipate will take a bit of time with each.
Go through more e-mail.
Start organizing billing details.
Read more manuscripts.
Call a prospective client to offer representation, when done reading the manuscript related to said prospective client.
Attack more e-mail.
Attack the giant mail pile, which has built up over the holidays.

I anticipate that I'll be working until about 7 or 8 pm, EST, which is usually when Chris gets home around, and we stare at the fridge and contemplate dinner. And yet, despite the rest of the things I want to get done today, I still feel like I'm treading water to keep up. I am teh busy. =)


Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Jenny. Despite how you're feeling, you're obviously incredibly productive. And even if you weren't, that's okay, too. We all have crappy days.


Jodi said...

Jeff and I do the stare at the fridge thing, too. We also get this going:

Jeff: What do you want for supper.
Me: Dunno. I could cook. And it's dinner, not supper.
Jeff: It's supper.
Me: Well what do you want?
Jeff: I asked first.

*sigh* :)

Your day sounds busy! Travel time is exactly why I hate going places. *hides in house*

barista brat said...

i'm sending a virtual triple tall latte your way to help you get through your day, haha!

S. W. Vaughn said...

But, Barista, Jenny doesn't like coffee! She prefers green tea. Alas.

You can send the coffee to me, though... :-)

Jenny, you are one dedicated agent. Do you get strange looks while reading manuscripts in the doctor's office?

Jenny Rappaport said...

Nope, I don't usually get strange looks while reading them in doctor's offices, but they're a pain in the neck to lug around. One little toddler wanted to play with them today though, which was cute. =)

Simon Haynes said...

I stuck a list of quick dinner ideas on the fridge, but most require something defrosted to start with. So, I started getting the main ingredient out of the freezer the night before - left in the fridge, it's ready when I need it.
Fast food is a last resort for us - maybe once every two months or so. We have two kids so putting decent, healthy food on the table is a priority.

barista brat said...

haha, ok - green tea for jenny and coffee for s. w. vaughn.

Yasamin said...

you know what you need? a vacation! jk!!! lol good luck on the work load. mine piled up like Mount Wilson over the freaking holidays. my desk looks like a paper shredder's hell.

Gord Rollo said...

Wow! That is a busy day! Thank God for take out, I suppose:)

Hang in there. It's only another 40 years or so until you can retire!



Tess said...

Yikes! What a day. Hope things get better soon :-)

A shame you can't harness any of Zoe's kitten energy to help.

Agent Kristin said...

If you need T&C tips, you know how to reach me.