Thursday, February 22, 2007

The big day

Zoe is at the vet now, getting spayed. As well as being given her rabies shot and having a microchip installed. This is my small, furry baby having surgery here... eep. Not that I don't want her reproductive organs removed, trust me, but she was so unhappy this morning. We couldn't give her food or water after 10 pm last night, and the whole way to the vet, she mewed very unhappily from her cat carrier in the back seat--something she never does. I'm going to be able to pick her up this afternoon though, if everything goes well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, and for those that were wondering, it is indeed possible to dress your cat in a baby onesie. I had the people at Babies 'R Us get me greatly discounted ones from the back stockroom, and I ended up only paying $3.50 for four of them. We did get her into one on Tuesday evening, which she wore for all of about two seconds. The length and width of a preemie onesie are right for her; it's just the small fact that her front legs are so much smaller than the armholes of the garment. She was able to wriggle out of it, very quickly, without the onesie being unsnapped at all. Needless to say, she will not be wearing one after her surgery today, contrary to the vet's suggestion of "dress the cat to prevent her from ripping out stitches". I'm hoping that she'll keep the cone on that the vet said will be coming home with her today.

On the other hand, I now possess an unopened three-pack of preemie onesies, all of them blue with trucks and cars on them. They're meant for boy babies, but obviously, I figured that the cat couldn't care less what color or pattern they were. Except I have no plans to have a baby, anytime soon, and no real inclination to troop back to the store and return them for like the $2 I'll get back. I'm trying to figure out who I can give them to... I have two writing friends who are expecting babies...one's a girl due in April, but she's not likely to be premature, and the other is a boy due in July... also not likely to be a preemie. Does anyone out there need them? I figure the postage will be relatively cheap, anywhere in the US, since they're clothing and weigh next to nothing.

14 comments:

Gina Black said...

Why not pack them up with some good books and drop them off at a Women's Shelter?

Kim said...

Argh - Gina stole my suggestion! :)

Or your friend might be able to use them, depending on how big or small her baby is - my son was full-term, but only 6.5 pounds (of course now his nickname is Tank.)

Nathalie Mallet said...

What about donating them to the maternity ward of your local hospital? I’m sure they’ll put those preemie onesies to good use.

Anonymous said...

yes - donate them to your local hospital - especially if they have a preemie ward.
When my twins were born, they spent two months in the hospital, and I think they are always happy to get things for preemies. (Especially little preemie hats)
sam

Scott said...

Our cats are about the same age. I've been watching Zoe through your blog, doing the same things Grendel (http://www.scottrhoades.com/grendel.html) does. Grendel's getting neutered on Tuesday. He has no clue...

December Quinn said...

Hope all goes well with Zoe!

Tess said...

A onesie? Hmm, our vet didn't suggest that. Cleo choked herself on the cone after spending most of the night trying to get it off, so the vet gave us a yucky tasting ointment to put on the area around the incision (not on it). That seemed to help for the most part.

Hope everything with Zoe went well :-) At least she only has to have it done once!

As for the scrotum debate, the whole thing has me completely flabbergasted. talk about ridiculous.

adamszoo68 said...

That is SO interesting! I hope Zoe is feeling well. I have never heard of such a thing, in a lifetime of having a number of cats spayed.

And the sonnet below is just hysterical. I couldn't possibly outdo that!

Kudos on taking up the cause, and good thoughts going out to you and your kitty this evening. :)

Linda Adams
www.alyssastory.com

Southern Writer said...

How's Zoe this evening?

The Beautiful Schoolmarm said...

Natalie stole my suggestion. My daughter was full term but little: 5 lbs. 3 oz. Nothing at the hospital fit. Since we live in a small town, there weren't any preemie-sized clothes (or diapers)avaliable. Hubby almost made an emergency trip to the nearest Wal-Mart (60 miles away).

Anonymous said...

Hope Zoe is fine and happy and well. And you, too, from the stress and worry.

Now, please forgive me everyone, and don't get mad, but I can't help noticing that yesterday was about scrotums and today is about pussy :)

cm allison said...

I second Gina and Nathalie. (Besides, thinking as an accountant, tax-write off next year)

Most kitties are too smart to rip out stitches, too tender when tugged on. Least mine never have!

kiwi said...

For those of you who are offended by anony 2#’s comment re. scrotum and pussy you should know that this is James Dashner's idea of humour. Yes, a YA novelist—shameful.

Oh and James, I don't suck, thank you very much. Though my last book ... well that's another matter.

And Jenny, I think it's fair to say that most of us here are wondering how Zoe is?

If she is anything like my cat—who has never forgiven us for having him fixed—she’ll be feeling very sorry for herself and likely giving you the evil eye. (after three years I still feel guilty when ever I feel that gaze on me.)

writtenwyrdd said...

Or a battered women's shelter. Those gals need everything!