Monday, February 05, 2007

Books on Barbaro

What follows below in bold is directly excerpted from today's Publisher's Weekly newsletter; I'm happy that my favorite horse is going to get lots of attention, even in death. And he's got a brother (and another one waiting to be born), which I'll be keeping my eye on. =)

Barbaro Books Gallop Out of the Gate by Lynn Andriani
Following the January 29 death of beloved Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, three publishers are rushing to press with books that were initially scheduled to pub in April and May. The books—two adult titles and one for children—will now hit stores as early as February 26, all with print runs higher than initially planned.

The books won’t compete directly with each other, since one is a narrative nonfiction work for adults with some photographs, one a coffee-table book and one a children’s title. Collins’s narrative Barbaro: A Nation’s Love Story by Pamela K. Brodowsky and Tom Philbin was originally an April 1 pub, but will now go on sale February 26, with a first printing of 50,000 (up from 30,000). The Aladdin children’s book Barbaro: America’s Horse by Shelley Mickle was initially set for April 10, but now has a February 20 release date and March 13 on-sale date. Aladdin will also go to press for 50,000 copies. And Eclipse Press’s coffee-table book, Barbaro: The Horse Who Captured America’s Heart by Sean Clancy, had been set for a May 1 release, but will now be available in early to mid-March. The Lexington, Ky., house plans an initial print run of 7,000 to 10,000 copies.

Collins, Aladdin and Eclipse were all able to edit their books to reflect Barbaro’s death in forewords, afterwards, epilogues and final chapters.

Also, the freaking temperature is 15 degrees Fahrenheit, but with the windchill feels like -1 degrees Fahrenheit. When I woke up this morning, the windchill was -9 degrees Fahrenheit...brrrr!

And finally, before I go off to eat lunch, I'll leave you with the happy warning that much client pimpage will be posted in the next day or so. =)


Demon Hunter said...

"Much client pimpage" LOL! Great to hear about the books for Barbaro!

Anonymous said...

I'll probably be the only dissenter, but I think it's cashing in on a poor animal's terrible experience.
Being in racing, I know how many horses break down and are destroyed each year - and it isn't pretty. Concentrating all the attention on one horse makes it seem like it's an unusual event.
More fantasy in a cruel world isn't bad - but it would be nice to have some realism too.

merlinsmuse said...

I watched the race where Barbaro was injured and I cried so hard. I watched his progress with fingers crossed and heart thumping. I cried again when he had to be put down. Anonymous is right about horse racing being a very harsh world for the poor animals. I do like that the owners tried so awfully hard to keep him alive though. And I would like to think it was because they truly cared for him and not for some nefarious reason based on money.

The greatest race horse who ever lived- Man O' War.

Have a great day,