Saturday, February 17, 2007

Covet, covet


(Disclaimer: Do not try and buy me these to bribe me into liking your manuscript.)

Just as novels are beautiful when they're done well, so is jewelry. Two of my favorite independent designers of handmade jewelry are Kate Holly-Clark and Kythryne Aisling. I bought my mother a pendant (Kate) and neckvine (Kythryne) for her Hanukkah present this past December, each made by their respective artisan. For those that are interested, the picture above is what the custom pendant I had made for my mother looked like. It's a sacred tree, and it's made of copper wire, agate, and laboradite. In real life, it looks a little darker than the picture and the wire is brighter, but it is simply stunning.

Now, these two lovely ladies have some new stuff up for sale on Kythryne's website, and I felt that I just needed to share two of the pieces with all of you.

Pendant by Kate (This is just absolutely gorgeous with its goth vibe and subtle taxidermic tone. It's weird and morbid at the same time--very neat.)

Necklace by Kythryne (Already purchased by someone, alas, but still wildly beautiful.)

Aren't they beautiful pieces of jewelry?

6 comments:

December Quinn said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous, Jenny...wow. Yet another couple of sites to waste huge amounts of time drooling over.

Don't know if you're interested, but I really like the perfumes from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. Lots of interesting and unusual scents.

Kimber An said...

Oh, very beautiful, Jenny. Have you tried jewelry-making yourself? I keep reading the books and buying a few materials to do it. Doing something creative like this off-sets storytelling, but my schedule just hasn't allowed it yet. I'm going to try my hand at making a headband to go with a new dress though. I'm trying to start simple. I'd love to get into wire and polymer clay.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Jenny, you're just evil. I love bracelets (and earrings) and wear a stack on my right arm... one of those will fit perfectly and I've got the window open as I'm trying to talk myself out of it...

snarkfodder said...

I try to avoid going into stores that sell handcrafted jewellery because most of it is pretty boring and there's a desperate "please buy my crap!" vibe in the air that the incense never fully dispels. However, those are some really intriguing designs and the one for your mother looks positively beautiful.

resurrectedwarrior said...

I love the dragon's hoard one. That's just beautiful.

I wonder, though. On the other one with the star and the buck, is "The Horned One" an allusion to the Horned Ones in Sara Douglass' Wayfarer Redemption, or am I just being geeky?

Jenny Rappaport said...

resurrectedwarrior, I had never thought of that connection before, but you're very right... it definitely reminds me of the Horned Ones. Although, the Horned Ones are really a play on the old Welsh and Celtic myths, about the white stag and also the king who had a stag's head on his shoulders. I can't remember the names of the myths though.

kimber an, I think the only time I've made jewelry was at one of my birthday sleepovers as a child. My mom got earring kits for all us girls, and we got to make earrings before watching movies and eating cake. I think I was, maybe 7 or 8? I might have been older... I can't remember.

But as an adult, I'm very aware of the fact that I don't have the required manual dexterity to make jewelry. I'm working on knitting now, which I'm slowly getting better at. The baby hat I'm making actually looks like real knitting... go stockinette stitch! =) Just as a sidenote, sewing is a problem for me, at least hand-sewing, since my eyes are so bad. Chris can actually sew a straighter seam than I can, and is mostly the one responsible for replacing lost buttons. I don't own an actual sewing machine, but I suspect that I would have an easier time with that.