Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Plans for the day

On Monday evening, my dear, ancient computer decided to bite the dust. Or rather, its CPU fan decided to burn out... yes indeed, there were actual smells of burning. Whether I'll get a new computer, a "new" used computer, or a replacement CPU fan... all of this remains to be determined and is actively being debated in my household right now.

In the meantime, I'm using, for the second day in a row, Chris' computer with its horrible keyboard. I don't know what it is about this keyboard, but it makes my hands hurt to type, even with gel wrist rests, etc, that I have placed in front of it. Happily, and let this be a lesson to all of you, when I realized the CPU fan was going, I threw as much backup data onto Chris' computer as possible. This is why I'm still able to function! The only thing that I don't have installed on here is my schedule/planner program, which is why I'm now making a lovely to-do list to post on this blog. Humor me.

As I crawl out of the pit of sickness known as "the stomach bug" and begin to resuscitate my workload, here's some of the things I plan to do today:

  1. Finish secret project (involves typing)
  2. Finish pitch letter #1 (involves typing)
  3. Finish pitch letter #2 (involves typing)
  4. Answer e-mails (involves typing)
  5. Call editors
  6. Call a specific editor to send out project #2 (see pitch letter #2--involves typing)
  7. Make billing invoice (involves typing)
  8. Fill out registration papers for World Fantasy
  9. Write blog post with conference schedule (involves typing)
  10. Read manuscripts to give poor hands a break from typing
  11. Prevent Zoe from pulling out her stitches
Have a good day, everyone!


BernardL said...

'Prevent Zoe from pulling out her stitches'

If it happens, apply a pad wet with peroxide twice a day, and there will be no infection. It aids the healing too.

O.G.N said...

Any particular reason you can't plug your old keyboard into Chris' computer?

Jenny Rappaport said...

Pure laziness, mostly. That, and the fact that my keyboard's PS2 connector is really old and doesn't take kindly to being unplugged and then replugged into something else.

It's mostly also the ergonomics of the situation. Crappy desk chair, crappy desk, no keyboard tray ... Chris has a very strange idea of what makes a good computer desk.

Ryan Field said...

You might want to check out ebay. I bought my first lap top there for less than 200 bucks (just to see if I'd like working on a computer because I was the last one sending hardcopy to my publisher)seven years ago, and even though I've upgraded several times since then the old ebay laptop is still going strong and I have no complaints.

Tess said...

Yikes, sounds like a busy day. Hope you're feeling better now!

LOL re Zoe and the stitches. Cleo was pretty good, but every once in a while I'd catch her trying to pull out those stitches.

Um, how do you feel about the French Revolution ? - (going back one post.)