Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Frazzled

I've been working on taxes and financial stuff all day, and my poor brain is frazzled. I am not cut out to be an accountant. There has to be something wrong with a world where I can pass matrix algebra in college, but not be able to easily fill out a a Schedule C to go with my 1040.

(No suggestions of getting an accountant, please. I'm slogging through this on my own. =)

Also, the horrible mouse is still roaming around at large, although I think it's still behind our dishwasher. I am utterly terrified and paralyzed with fear because of it. Zoe has not yet caught it. Once again, to point out the ironies of the world... I had gerbils as a teenager and loved them, yet I can't deal with the thought of a mouse being in my kitchen.

Happily, when I'm away in Toronto this weekend, Chris is going to remove the dishwasher (and hopefully not flood the house, while doing it), in order to try and eradicate the aforementioned vermin. I'm just happy that I don't have to watch.

Finally, I'd like to extend an open invitation to all the Golden Heart finalists out there that happen to read this blog... if you're nominated and haven't yet queried me, I'd love to see what you've got. I also want to congratulate the inspirational category finalists, but I'd like to remind them that I'm not the right type of agent to query for their work. So basically, Golden Heart people, shoot me an e-mail, and we'll talk. No guarantees or anything, but I'm interested in seeing what your novels are like.

13 comments:

Christine said...

What the heck is in Toronto? My other publisher (I have two now, HA! who ever thought THAT would happen?) is going there on Thursday through next week? What conference is it?

And I feel for you on the tax thing. But I have Turbo Tax, so that helped me with the old Schedule C. Who knew that once you freelance so much work, and get the dreaded 1099-Misc form, you're a business? Ack. Next year I'm writing off something to offset the taxes. Maybe I need a new laptop...

Jenny Rappaport said...

It's the World Horror Convention. It's where they give out the Stoker awards, which is why I'm going, since my client Jeff Strand is nominated. =)

TurboTax is starting to look more and more appealing...

Today, I started learning how to wrestle with QuickBooks, which is an adventure in itself.

Jodi Meadows said...

Tax is scary. You're a brave woman.

~~Olivia said...

Behind my mask of writer, hides a tax accountant. Taxes are easy... LOL...

I consider myself well educated and can read the tax forms, IRS publications, and mortgage loan statements. When my eldest child reached college age and it was time to brave the waters of college loans, I felt totally inept. Calculus and organic chemistry were easier.

I feel for you Jenny!

Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

Jenny, I started a Yahoo group for the 2007 GH'ers, so I passed your invitation to the group (and swooned about you). A lot of them are already agented, but look for some queries to head your way. :)

P.S. Yep, taxes suck. I'm trying to avoid them until I'm finished with the revisions.

Christine said...

Ah, okay. I don't write Horror, so I had no clue. :)

Thanks. Yes, TT is a blessing.

John B said...

Remember, the mouse is probably more afraid of you than you are of it.

Unless its rabid.

BernardL said...

I use Quickbooks and TurboTax for all accounting and tax requirements for my business. Once you set up Quickbooks properly, the rest will be a walk in the park. Both programs incorporate a help system unrivaled anywhere. No, I don't work for Intuit. :)

TJ Bennett said...

Jenny, I'm curious. Does your invitation extend to former Golden Heart finalists (I'm a 2005) or just the current ones?

Jenny Rappaport said...

Sure, the invitation extends to past GH finalists too. I guess my only stipulation about that is that I'd like to see your most recent work, as opposed to the novel that got you the finalist nod.

Catherine Avril Morris said...

Yes, TurboTax. It rocks. Walks you right through it. (I've been doing Schedule C for several many years now, too, and it sucks without TurboTax.) Get thee to a Costco for some TurboTax!

TJ Bennett said...

Then have I got a manuscript for you! *evil grin*

TJB

Kathie said...

Unfortunately I have experience with mice behind dishwashers. All you have to do is unscrew the kick-plate below the dishwasher, slip your trap underneath and return the kickplate. Don't screw the kick-plate in too tight, because within hours you'll hear the ghastly snap and screech and voila, mousey is finito. Sounds abusive, but I've felt the fear and I know what it means to be rid of it! Hahaha. Can't wait for the update.