Monday, April 16, 2007

Important Announcement

One of the best parts of my job is getting to sift through the slush pile and discover new writers; it's often an arduous process, but finding an author whose work I love makes it all worth it. So it is with a considerable degree of regret that I must tell you all that I am going to have to slow down my reading for the near future. This does not mean that I won't be taking on new clients, since I will, but it does mean that the slush pile and I are going to be spending a lot less time together.

I've made this decision after a great deal of thought and consideration. I'm currently backed up with submissions to read, and starting in the beginning of May, I'll be attending six different conferences in six weeks. I have a large number of clients now, and I need to concentrate on meeting their needs. This temporary period of slowing down will allow me to catch up on the backlog, so that I can hopefully begin actively searching for clients again by the end of the summer. Perhaps even sooner than that, but that depends on how my workload during the summer shapes up.

If you would still like to query me, please feel free to do so, but with the understanding that you may not hear from me until the summer.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. The community of writers and readers that have formed in the comments of LIT SOUP continue to amaze me, and I'm grateful that I've gotten to know so many of you, even if it is just over the internet. I will still be blogging, and I look forward to sharing a wonderful summer with everyone!


Don said...

You might want to do like some lit mags do and post a policy indicating that queries received between (insert dates here) will be returned unread (or silently recycled). Those who have finished their novels and can't wait 2-3 months to send a query to you are likely not among the gems in the slush.

Ryan Field said...

Thanks for the post about this. And 2 -3 three months really isn't that long either.

JDuncan said...

Guess I'll just have to write an astonishing sonnet about soup now. Nevermind the fact that I've never written on before or have any real clue how to write one. But with a free partial read for a prize, how can refuse to try?


Jodi Meadows said...


How To Write a Sonnet:

Go forth and rhyme

DanStrohschein said...

Take whatever time you need - I'll be here, with more material. Ah yes, the guy who never stops writing - that's me.

Have a great summer!

The Ben said...

I have to ask. Does this affect me in any way?

Tracey said...

Will you be going on with the EDoA or will that also have to wait?

Jenny Rappaport said...

EDoA will be continuing.

Anonymous said...

You requested my book. I am not published and have a prologue. I hear that new writers need to advoid starting with a prologue. since the main story takes place years later. I did go to a critic at Penn writers convention. They said title it first chapter if I must. Someone also suggested I flash back. Since you have requested my book I felt that your opinion on this matter would be best..Thank you for taking the time to read this short note...Sicerely....Loretta