Saturday, April 07, 2007

LIT SOUP's birthday contest

As I announced before, we're going to have a contest to celebrate LIT SOUP turning one year old on April 24th. Since that's right around Shakespeare's birthday, I've decided to be the tiniest bit evil. =)

The contest is as follows:

On April 24th, I will post a contest post, and you must leave your contest entry in the comments of that post. To enter the contest, you must write a Shakespearean sonnet involving the word "soup". Tips on writing a sonnet can be found here and here; yours doesn't necessarily have to be in iambic pentameter, but you get extra credit for writing it that way. I reserve the sole right and discretion to pick the winners and award the prizes for first through third places.

First Place: Skip the query pile! If you win first place, you automatically get to send me a partial, and I will consider it, just the same as if I had requested it.

Second Place: A galley of THE PRINCES OF THE GOLDEN CAGE by Nathalie Mallet! Read the book months before anyone else gets a chance to do so!

Third Place: A small box of nice chocolate!

If you win first place and do not need it, you can exchange it for the same thing as third place. I will ship internationally, but if you choose to receive the box of chocolate and are an international winner, I reserve the right to substitute a $10 Amazon gift certificate instead, pending the regulations for shipping food to your country.

So, put your writing caps on, and start churning out sonnets, folks. =) Remember, don't post any of them in the comments of this post, as the official contest thread will open on April 24th and end on April 25th, approximately twenty-four hours later.

10 comments:

Stranger Jane said...

How long is first prize good for?

I'd be a fool to say that I don't want it, but if I don't have a manuscript done, how long would I have?

What A Crock said...

Faints at the slightest thought of winning that first prize

Holy Crap thats awesome!!!

Jenny Rappaport said...

First place does not have an expiration date. You'd just need to keep me appraised of your contact info and name and such, if you won.

Kimber An said...

Strange as it may sound, I'm not really interested in First Prize. I don't want an agent reading my story unless she really wants to. Maybe that doesn't make any sense in the grand scheme of things, but that was my first thought.

What I want is Second Prize! Sure, I'd love Third too, but I know where to get good chocolate anyway. But, how many times does one get to read a terrific novel before anyone else?

Ben S. D. said...

What's a sonnet? Heh.

...if I write a haiku, can I still get the box of chocolates?

Scott said...

I can't wait till April 24th! I've got my sonnet almost ready, and look forward to reading the others.

LadyBronco said...

Jenny,
You are actually on my list of agents to query after my editing is done ~ I am so there!

*breaking out the thesaurus*

WooHoo!

Chumplet said...

You don't represent what I write, so it wouldn't be fair for me to participate. Ah, well...

I probably write a lousy sonnet anyway.

December Quinn said...

Can we write more than one, or is it one-per-person?

poetsforpeanuts said...

Sounds like fun! I guess I should enter too. :)