Friday, April 27, 2007

Postal rate change, EFFECTIVE MAY 14, 2007!!!

This is your official post telling you about the upcoming postal rate changes that will be effective starting May 14, 2007. The USPS website lists things here; I recommend you read it.

The quick-and-dirty guide to the rate change:

US domestic first-class mail LETTER: 41 cent stamp
US international first-class mail LETTER to Canada: 69 cent stamp
US international first-class mail LETTER to almost-everywhere-else: 90 cent stamp

There are now different size-based rates for mailing LETTERS, FLATS, and PARCELS. This is why you should read the website I have linked to... they do not all cost the same anymore!

IF YOU ARE SENDING ME A SNAIL MAIL QUERY, ASSUME THAT IT WILL NOT BE ANSWERED UNTIL AFTER MAY 14, 2007 AND PUT THE CORRECT POSTAGE ON IT. OTHERWISE, IT WILL NOT BE ANSWERED.

11 comments:

Ryan Field said...

See what small important things you can learn from a blog? I wasn't sure of the exact date, and now I know. Thanks...

Patrick McNamara said...

Canadian rates can be found at http://www.canadapost.ca/segment-e.asp. For those using SASE, it currently costs 93 cents Canadian to mail from Canada to the US.
I've practically given up using SASE for mail sent to the US. It's hard to get the stamps and one has to keep up with postal rates. I ask that they e-mail instead.

Aimee said...

Also, for those of us in the US, there's the new "forever stamp" that you can buy now for 41 cents and it will always be first class postage, no matter how much the rates go up from here on out.

Kimber An said...

What if I sent you a snailQ waaaay back in February? Is it going to be tossed too?

Jenny Rappaport said...

Kimber An, no. I'm going to make a concerted effort to try and get all of those processed before the rate change, or pay the difference out of my own pocket, with two cent stamps.

I just refuse to do it for any queries that are postmarked April 27th and onwards. I'm not made of money. =)

Anonymous said...

Canada has forever stamps now also. Fabulous invention, whichever country came up with it first.

Kimber An said...

Thanks, Jenny. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Anon, what is a 'forever stamp?'

Anonymous said...

Anon, what is a 'forever stamp?'

What Aimee said.

Ben S. D. said...

Oh, yippee. There goes half an unused book of stamps. Again. 'rolling eyes'

Christine said...

Forever stamps are exactly what they sound like. You can buy them now at the 41 cent rate, but there's no postage printed on them. So if the rate goes up again in a year...they're still good.

Every single writer should run out and buy a supply while they can be had for 41 cents, and use them on every single SASE they send.

Christine said...

And PS - I have Stamps.com, which comes with updates as the rates change. I adore it, totally worth the money, because when I need to send manuscripts or ARC's, I just plop them in the envelope, weigh them, print out the shipping label and tuck it in the mailbox. And I can print out as many or few stamps as I need/want, so I'm never stuck with stamps I can't use.

Just an FYI. Forever stamps and Stamps.com are a writers best friend.