Saturday, April 07, 2007

Troll post down

On the advice of dear Miss Snark, whose opinion I greatly respect, I've decided to take down the very, very angry post I had about the troll. Thank you everyone for your support--it means a lot that people I don't even know in person want to defend me online--that's the internet for you. =)

So what happens now, you ask?

Pretty much, I'm going to ignore any future troll posts. I'm sorry that he/she is cyber-stalking people's blogs, which is what made me so angry in the first place... it's one thing to attack me, but it's a completely different thing to attack my clients and blog readers.

Although I won't have anything to do with this (have to try and take the high road here), if you feel up to it, go have fun figuring out who the troll is. IP logging and other fun tools are readily at your disposal.

(Yes, I'm aware the angry post is still floating around in cached archives--if you're dedicated enough, I'm sure you can find it. It's really not worth your time though. And eventually, it will disappear.)


Amie Stuart said...

And besides, ignoring them will only make them madder--at least it works that way with small children. why should trolls be any different *g*

Diantha said...


I saw your response to the troll the other day, but didn't have a chance to comment. I'm going to take the opportunity to do so now.

You had every right to be angry - at this person's personal attack against you and at his/her stalkerish behavior of your regular commenters. As someone who has been on the recieving end of anonymous personal attacks in cyber space, I can fully appreciate the pain and frustration that results. You know that you shouldn't give any credence to such a person, but it's very hard to disengage one's emotions and listen to logic.

You generously take time to provide insights into agenting and publishing and share parts of your personal world. The result is that you have built a community here in this corner of cyber space. It sounds like you also have a vibrant life outside the virtual world. That would be enough to tick off a bitter person and put you on his/her hit list. Sad, but true.

In the long run, I think Miss Snark was wise to advise you to remove the post. While this is your blog and you have a right to say what you want, it is still a very public space. The fact that you have such esteemed individuals as Ms. Perkins and Miss Snark mentoring you at this point in your career says a lot about the person you are. Keep that thought in mind whenever the @ssholes of the world try to taint you with their vitriol.


BernardL said...

The Internet is a tough place to have any kind of discussion other than fluff posts. There are people looking to be offended, running around from one blog or site to the next, searching for some way to take offense. Maybe it was for the best to keep the Anonymous posts out. I think you are simply honest as to what you represent and what you don't. In a way, I disagree with Miss Snark. If you feel a post should be answered publicly; because of false or misleading statements, answer sharply to the point, and ignore the rest.

KingM said...

Nothing really to add here, just a voice in support for an excellent blog and its blogger.

Michele Lee said...

I just did a post on why people get offended. I have lost some people I thought were friends due to my blog. But a wise person pointed out to me that with the ease of talking to people and speed of getting to know them on the net it's hard to remember that their net versions of themselves aren't always the real ones. Flaming, even if it is some random person looking for a fight, still hurts and aggitates. It is so hard to not defend yourself. but really, that just adds more fuel.