Sunday, May 06, 2007

The kitten mystery revealed

So, thank you all for playing along with my little experiment regarding kittens!

If you'll reference the kitten post (two back from this one), you'll notice that there were two photos of kittens posted. The bottom one is Zoe, from about two weeks ago or so. The top one is actually Cleo, when she was the same age as Zoe.

Cleo belongs to my friend Jamie, and is now a healthy adult cat, aged two years. =) I don't have any current photos of her, but I'll be able to get some this coming weekend, as Cleo is going to be my roommate for the Nebulas (I'm saving hotel costs and staying at Jamie's apartment). Cleo has a sister named Gracie, who's a tabby. Aren't they adorable as kittens? They're the same age as Zoe is now, in this picture. (Cleo doesn't photograph very well, so please ignore the evil glowing kitten eyes.)



And here's another one of the two of them, snuggling together!



And finally, to finish the kitten photo montage, here's the most adorable one of Gracie at about age three and a half months.



Now, back to the actual point of my little experiment....

Many of you thought that Cleo and Zoe were the same kitten in the pictures. They look EXTREMELY similar. It's eerie seeing Cleo as an adult cat because that's what Zoe's going to look like when she grows up. The major difference is that Cleo's eyes are green and Zoe's are amber-yellow.

Now Jamie and I both got our cats from the same rescue people in NJ, so there's the definite possibility that all three kitties are related. Cleo and Gracie are definitely from the same litter, and in fact, had a brother who was black as well (somebody else adopted him). Zoe had two other siblings, who were black and white, although her cat-mommy took them with her, so we don't know whether they were boys or girls. I prefer to think that Cleo and Gracie and Zoe are all sisters or half-sisters, at the very least, since they all look so alike (even Gracie has similar facial structure and stuff to Zoe, despite different coloring). But maybe they're cousins.... one can never tell.... but I still think it's really cool that my cat and my best friend from high school's cats are probably related. =)

Sonnet contest results tomorrow!

9 comments:

Michelle Moran said...

So you do have photos of neighbor's kittens!!

They're all very sweet.

Jenny Rappaport said...

Michelle Moran, well they're technically not my neighbor's kittens. They live in NYC, while I'm in central NJ. =)

Kelly Swails said...

I would have sworn they were the same cat. They might be related. How cool!

Looking at the pictures of kitties makes me want to get another one. One of ours died about 3 months ago, and at the time I thought I'd wait a year or two before getting another ... but those pictures ...

Michelle Moran said...

Looking at the pictures of kitties makes me want to get another one.

Kelly, I felt the same way! I've had my cat Anubis for 17 years and a few months ago he passed on to Kitty Heaven. I don't have the heart to tell my publisher, who included my cat in my author bio. But seeing those photos now makes me wonder if maybe I'm ready for Anubis II....!

The Beautiful Schoolmarm said...

I once had a pair of littermates who looked almost exactly like Cleo and Gracie. Figgs was black, Tansey was a big gray tabby. I had to give them away because hubby turned out to be allergic. They have a good home and about 10 acres of range to play in, but I still miss them.

Tess said...

They're ALL adorable. And I have the same problem photographing my Chloe - she's mostly black and her eyes often glow green in photos.

Chris Redding said...

I had a male cat that looked just like Gracie.
He found us when I was pregnant with my first son. He used to sleep on my stomach when he was a kitten. I have pics of Kenworth (the cat because his purr sounded like a diesel truck) and my son curled up together sleeping. He was the best cat and he only lived to be 7.

Anonymous said...

More kitty pictures! Please?

Winter of WinterYogurt said...

How cute! ^___^