Saturday, July 14, 2007

OSC on Snape

Yep, still on the Harry Potter kick! I haven't reread any books yet, although the sixth one and I are going to get nice and cozy this next week. I was going to see the movie tonight, but we shall go tomorrow evening instead.

And finally, as the title of the post says, Orson Scott Card's essay on Snape. It's nice and thought-provoking, and I really do think he's right. But it still makes me a wee bit sad.


Kelly Swails said...

That is thought-provoking. I've always thought Snape was ultimately working for the good-guys; I'd never considered that he'd be the one to die nobley at the end. OSC makes a good case for it, though.

Tracey H. Kitts said...

He points out exactly what I was afraid of. I agree, but I don't entirely like it. I was always on Snape's side. Sad, but true.

--E said...

Um... am I allowed to be smug that I thought OSC's points were glaringly obvious?

I finished book 6 and called my sister, and both of us were certain that Snape is still good, and that yes, his actions were entirely motivated by the need to keep the boys' souls clean. Snape is doing the dirty work because someone has to.