Friday, August 31, 2007

Fascinating news, I know

I'm still up!

You have to love jet lag.

On Wednesday, August 29, 2007, I got up at 5:50 am Alaska Time (AKDT, at the moment, since it's daylight savings time here in the US), which is four hours behind EDT (Eastern Daylight Time).

Easy math=9:50 am EDT is when I woke up.

This was so we could eat breakfast before we got off of the cruise ship at 7:15 am AKDT. Remember, this is all on Wednesday, August 29, 2007.

At 5:20 pm AKDT (9:20 pm EDT), still on August 29th, my plane was scheduled to leave the Anchorage airport. Which is named after Ted Stevens, by the way, which I find hilarious. That aside, the plane sat on the runway for fifty minutes, as the pilots were waiting for the printer in the cockpit to tell them how much the luggage weighed. So finally, we were off.

At 10:39 pm PDT on August 29th (9:39 pm AKDT, 1:39 am EDT August 30th), our flight landed in Seattle for a scheduled stop--refueling, crew change, aircraft cleaning, exchange of certain passengers, etc. We were supposed to have arrived almost an hour earlier, but due to the printer in Anchorage, we got about fifteen minutes off the plane and then back on we went.

At 6:40 am EDT on August 30th (2:40 am AKDT), we finally landed at Newark Airport. This brought my sleepless hours to a grand total of 20 hours and 50 minutes, as I am not able to sleep on planes very well.

I got to my house at 9:30 am EDT on August 30th, after breakfast with my mother-in-law, who picked us up from the airport. She took us to a diner and pancakes were consumed.

We slept after that. All day. Most of the day. Three-quarters of the day.

Now I have been up all night, since I slept all day, and it is 9:03 am EDT on August 31st. My body has absolutely no idea what time zone it's in. Zoe and I have spent the better part of the past night watching "Hana Yori Dango, Season 2", and cuddling. She is a very needy little girl now, which is natural since we left her alone for days upon days, with only my parents for company.

The whole point of all of this is that while I expected to be able to actually do work today, I'm not sure that I'll be awake to do so. Yay jet lag! But that's ok, as Labor Day is Monday, and then my sleep patterns should have calmed down by Tuesday.

Thanks for listening to me babble. =)

Oh, and we weighed Zoe, and lo and behold... we go on vacation.... and she grew! She's 11.6 lbs of cat! Oh my!


Carl Frederick said...

Hey, welcome home. (getting there is half the fun, getting back not so nearly)

Great to read of your (and Zoe's) exploits.

Nathalie Mallet said...

Glad to have you back, Jenny! :)

Anonymous said... pics?

Chumplet said...

I hope you had a wonderful time. The west coast is so beautiful.

When I was a teenager, I was scheduled to visit my father in Algeria, with a 3-day stopover in Geneva to get my visa.

The air traffic controllers' strike started the day I was to leave. By myself. After several hours in the airport at Toronto, we were bussed to Niagara Falls, hung around the Buffalo airport for a coupla hours, missed a connection in Munich and finally after 24 hours of sitting and standing, arrived in Geneva 12 hours late. Needless to say, my guide was not there to meet me. Another wait because she was at work.

Jet lag? What jet lag? I slept for ages and almost missed my whole visit to Geneva.

Kimber An said...

Congratulations! Wow, you even honeymooned in Alaska.

Believe me, if you lived here in Alaska, you would not think having our airport named after Ted Stevens is hilarious. The thing most Easterners don't realize or maybe think about is the fact that Alaska has only two Senators and just one Representative. This means the only way we can have any influence on our national government is through the *longevity* of our congresspeople. Through longevity, our congresspeople can win seats on committees in which they do have greater influence. Regardless of Mr. Stevens' party affiliation, he's been representing Alaska for a very long time and has accomplished much for us. Sure, he's not perfect, but no one is.