Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Great answers

Keep the great answers coming on the prior thread about what you guys want... I'm going to definitely attack them when I get done with all this wedding stuff.

I'm not totally sure about the ethics involved in posting queries from people, just because I feel funny about sharing private business correspondence. I have to think about it. Although I very well may have the fabulous E do a query mocking feature. =)

Oh, and Zoe almost just ran out the front door this morning. Something she has never done. Thank you, little black cat, for giving me a heart attack. She is now wearing her collar with ID tags, in case she tries to do that again.


Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Re: Posting queries. I'd only do it with express written permission from the sender. I know if I sent you a query and it showed up on the Net without my permission, I wouldn't be happy.

Yeah, there are all those rules about the copyright holder being the person to whom the letter is sent, but forget the legal stuff for a second and think about PR. Do you want to be discussed in writerly circles because you post any query that suits you and the hell with the rest of it?

Jenny Rappaport said...

Exactly my point, Susan. =)

Don said...

Zoe has a microchip, right? Much better than the collar.

Sheryl Nantus said...

I *totally* hear your panic about the little one... my wussy cat Mitchell keeps edging towards it, but he hasn't been brave enough to try. My old white one used to try it all the time and we had to be fast!

double yes on the microchip - it's something extra in case the tags get lost and ALL vets pretty well check for them...


Karen said...

The day is getting closer! Good luck, and I hope all goes well. I will pass on a tip a good friend gave me right before my wedding. As you're standing at the end of the aisle waiting to walk past pretty much everyone you're related to, plus a bunch of friends, and (potentially) a bunch of strangers, if you get the jitters, don't look at anyone but your soon-to-be husband. And smile at him!

And, I hope the kitty has a safety collar (elastic or breakaway) so she can't hang herself on a tree or anything. The microchip is a good fallback in case she loses the collar.

And finally, l'chaim!

Ryan Field said...

I also agree with Susan regarding the ethics issue involving posting queries on blogs without permission. It seems like a small thing, even if the name isn't mentioned, but where does it stop?

Hope you're having a good summer, Jenny.

Jenny Rappaport said...

Yep, the cat is microchipped. Has been since February.

And she has a breakaway collar.

We hates it, we do. =)

Jillian said...

FWIW, Nathan Bransford asks permission before posting a query. He recently started doing this on his blog (which I love). His express intent is to instruct and enlighten, and he always reminds his readers to remain kind and gentle in the comment box. :)

Kanani said...

I think they can send roughs of their query on either evileditor or on their own blog.

Personally, I wouldn't want my query --good or bad, posted anywhere for public consumption. And if they're still looking for public feedback on form, content, effectiveness, then they shouldn't have been submitting anyway, right?

My new cat lost his collar with the nifty heart shaped tag. He's going to get microchipped, along with the other four animals. You can see photos of Panda right here on my girlfriend's article.