Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Nodame Cantible

I was going to write a post about how stressed I've been about getting married.

I was going to complain to you all.

I was going to try to explain how close my head has been to imploding, these last few months. And how I'm sorry about that. And how I feel like, if it does nothing else, may convince some people that I am merely human.

I may write that post later today, if anyone wants to hear my thoughts on it all.

But right now, I can only say that one of the ways I've been able to deal with all of the wedding-related stress is by watching anime. I can immerse myself in a show and its characters and forget that I haven't yet ordered flowers.

"Nodame Cantible" is one of those shows that I love. It's about two students at a music college in Tokyo, Chiaki and Nodame (nickname of Noda Megumi), and how they're suddenly thrown into each other's lives. It's about learning to accept yourself and your fears and your memories of the past. It's about music and the joy that it can bring to life and to the musician itself. It's comedic and sweet; tragic and touching; and one of my favorite shows of what's aired recently in Japan. It's a love story--one of those sweet ones that take forever to grow and are all the more worthwhile for seeing how a friendship can turn into something else.

And it's got great music.

It's currently fansubbed, which is how I watched it, but what's even better is that it's based off a manga of the same name. The manga is being put out by Del Rey in English; they're up to volume 10, which is good, since that's where the anime leaves off. I don't know if it will ever get picked up by US distribution, the anime, that is, but I truly hope that it does.

I loved it. =)

(As a sidenote, since I've been watching "Nodame Cantible", as well as another anime about music, I've wanted more and more to play an instrument again. Chris played the viola for eleven years, and even though he's out of practice, he's still GOOD. Even with needing a new set of strings. I played the piano for two years when I was seven and eight, and I played the flute when I was in fourth and fifth grade. I stopped with both because I didn't have the discipline to practice. But, as an adult now, I find that I really want to learn to play an instrument again. I want to be able to create music. So maybe, in a few months, when we've paid off the wedding debt, I'll figure out about taking lessons. I'd like to. And I firmly believe that you are never too old to learn anything, even if it's for a second time. =) I only wish I knew what instrument I wanted to learn... choices, choices...)

11 comments:

Rhonda Stapleton said...

Ooooh awesome! I've been on an anime kick, too--the manpanion and I have been watching Rurouni Kenshin. It's awesome!!! :D

Kim said...

I firmly believe in spoiling yourself when things start to run you into the ground. Enjoy - space out and kick back to do what makes you happy. =)

Good luck - when you look back, you'll laugh at how frazzled you were, and how, yet, everything managed to get done!

Ben S. D. said...

If you're a fan of anime music, Jenny, you might want to check out this guy-

http://www.pianosquall.com/

I interviewed him a few months ago for the launch of his GAME CD, which consists of tracks from both video games and anime. He takes the most popular themes and translates them to piano, and while there are no accompanying instruments, he's GREAT. I got three signed copies of the CD, and while I'm using two to give away as contest awards at the site, I'm definitely keeping one for myself.

You can see the track list on that site, too; you might be interested. :) Oh, and 20% of all his proceeds go to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Sheryl Nantus said...

anime, truly, is the answer to all problems.

seriously.

btw, if you go back to flute - go for the open-holed version. Got mine decades ago and it's great to remind you to curve those widdle fingers!

and just take a deep breath about the wedding crisises... this too, shall pass.

:)

Adrienne said...

First off when it comes to the whole wedding thing, let us quote the amazing Douglas Adams: "Don't panic". It'll all work out, you'll see.

Second, I was curious if the nature of this blog had changed, or actually perhaps you have another blog on the go that is more literary in its bent. I feel like I might have missed a transition or something, and if you do have another blog which is your "agent" blog, I'd love to read it.

Hmm . . . just re read my post and it really somehow sounds rather passive aggressive. Please believe me my question is sincere. I seem to recall you mentioning something about having another blog or something . . . not that I don't love the pics of the kitty, man I want a kitty - that's another story - just I miss reading about the agent stuff!

December/Stacia said...

Your way of dealing with wedding stress is much healthier than mine was. Mine involved lots of beer.


Your wedding will be wonderful; you'll be a beautiful bride and it will be a beautiful day. No matter what. I promise.

kiwi said...

Got good size hands? Piano or guitar.

Beth said...

If I could do my wedding over, I would've made it simpler. I wouldn't have bowed to familial pressure to do this or include that. I would've delegated more. I would've focused on the joy of marrying the man I loved, and not worried about getting every detail perfect. In the end, none of those details contributed to a happier day or thrilling memories. They only added to the stress.

Focus on what really matters and good luck. :)

spyscribbler said...

Piano Squall is a great place! One of my students is playing a few of those anime arrangements. Very fun!

Chumplet said...

I ordered silk flowers. No wilting or freezing to worry about, plus you could keep them a long time as keepsakes.

My friend's flowers were in a fridge that was set too cold. They turned brown. She had to scramble to get borrowed flowers that didn't match anything.

RL said...

My anniversary is the same date as your upcoming wedding date, and after reading your blog, I am SO glad I don't have to plan a wedding again!!! Anniversaries are MUCH easier. Good luck, don't stress, and remember, the most important thing about that wedding is the person you're getting married to. Anything else is just decoration.

Good luck!