Friday, September 07, 2007

RIP Madeline L'Engle

Publisher's Weekly is reporting that Madeline L'Engle passed away last night. This makes me very sad, as I love her books. They were a huge influence on my love of fantasy, as a child, and two of them, A SWIFTLY TILTING PLANET and MANY WATERS, are personal favorites.

Here's what PW says:

"Madeleine L’Engle
Author Madeleine L’Engle died last night in Connecticut, at the age of 89. Best known for her 1963 Newbery Award winner A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels, L’Engle was the author of more than 60 books for adults and young readers, most of which were published by FSG. This spring, the Square Fish imprint of Holtzbrinck reissued L'Engle's Time Quintet in new editions."

4 comments:

Christa M. Miller said...

Oh goodness, this is the first I've heard of it. :( Thanks for the post, Jenny. She is my favorite author of all time, largely because of the way her books shaped my beliefs and comforted me through being a total misfit. Even as an adult, I've found her "Crosswicks" memoirs so calming. RIP indeed.

Jodi Meadows said...

Well pook. I loffed her muchly, but it sounds like she had a nice long life. And she left us with some great books. :)

JDuncan said...

Wrinkle in Time was one of the first books I read as a kid and it certainly sparked my interest in reading sf/f. I might have to check out a few others of hers now. I had no idea she had written so many.

Geminipen said...

I accidentally clicked on your bookmark, Jenny, and this must have been why. How sad! It was natural, I know, but I always feel a bit of a loss when we lose someone who so impacted the literary world.

I think I'll go start a tribute to her on critiquecircle.com.