Friday, October 12, 2007

Long-term publishing success

So this is Tibby.

It's a little-known fact that I am tangentially related to Tibor Meray, a fairly prominent journalist and novelist, who chronicled the Hungarian Revolution.

Tibby, as he's known in the family, is my great-uncle Steve's half-brother. Twist your head around that one. =)

Tibby and his family live in France, so I've only had the chance to meet him once in my life. I was seven years old; he and his wife were visiting my great-uncle and great-aunt in Florida, at the same time that I was visiting my grandparents there. We all went out to dinner, a meal about which I remember nothing except the fact that I walked out of the restaurant with both spaghetti sauce and chocolate mousse on my white shirt. You can see that I was an exceptionally neat eater.

Besides the food, however, I was left with the impression that Tibby and his wife were very nice people. I was seven, after all.

Fast-forward many years.

My great-uncle, who is now 95, calls and tells us various pieces of news about Tibby every now and then. For example, sometime in the 1990s, Tibby won the French Legion Medal of Honor. Pretty cool.

The latest piece of news which filtered down the family pipeline actually has something to do with publishing.

In 1959, Tibby published a book called THIRTEEN DAYS THAT SHOOK THE KREMLIN, about the Hungarian Revolution; it's used often as a source text for what happened then. As far as I know, and I haven't read very much of the book, it's not complimentary to the USSR. One of many books which were never approved of in that country.

But now, forty-eight years or so later, Tibby gets a call from a Russian publisher. They want to translate the book into Russian. They want to actually publish it in a country where it never before has seen the light of day.

So, he lets them.

And now, he's being flown out to Moscow for the book's Russian premiere. He's getting to stay there as a guest of the French Embassy. His book is going to be read by an entirely new audience.

Which just goes to prove that you can always sell subsidiary rights, sooner or later. =)

2 comments:

Gina Black said...

I so love a story with an HEA. ;)

~~Olivia said...

Thanks, Jenny, for the story about Tibby. I am of Hungarian descent and personally know people who left Hungary during the 1959 uprising.

I applaud all those men who fought for their country against the Russians. Unfortunately, the "revolutionists" couldn't get any help from other countries and the uprising was stifled.

I hope the Russian people can appreciate the story written by your relative.

As a writer, I have to ask two questions. Has the copyright been renewed and is your relative still alive?