Friday, October 05, 2007

Query update

I had a very nice gentleman e-mail me the other day, asking if I would mind posting updates on the status of my query pile.

Let's review again, why this is a monumentally bad idea.

I have, at the moment, waiting to be read:

  1. An entire bookcase, approximately three feet wide, filled with material to read. The top shelf holds client manuscripts; the bottom two shelves are completely full of partial manuscripts and full manuscripts that I've requested.
  2. TWO 5 gallon Rubbermaid bins full of partial manuscripts.
  3. A giant box of queries.
  4. Even more mail that is literally eating my kitchen. And by eating, I mean that it is piled on my window seat, my two kitchen chairs, my entire kitchen table, and my kitchen counter (we move it, when we cook).
Do you honestly think that I'm going to keep track of the queries, amidst all that mail? I receive approximately 10 queries a day, seven days a week. That's seventy queries a week. And trust me, there are agents who get many, many more than that.

So, to answer the very nice gentleman's question, I have no idea where your query is. It is either in a pile in my kitchen or living in the giant query box. I do not have the time nor the inclination to sort through all the queries and log them and keep track of them; I only log and keep track of the partial and full manuscripts that I request.

If you have sent me any material, of any sort, then assume a minimum three month response time. Thank you.


Sheryl Nantus said...


it's always best to be a realist - for example, I sent you my three chapters just after Labor Day and I have *no* illusions about any reply until at least November...

I think that while it'd be nice to think that agents just sit around all day and slog through piles of stuff, the truth is that there's so much OTHER work that has to be done!

I promise not to harass you until Christmas. Or New Year's.


Anonymous said...

or until october 6th @ 9:46pm

Chumplet said...

I think you actually answered the nice gentleman's question. I don't think he was actually asking for the status of his query, but an overview of the pile. And what a pile!!

That's why I don't get bent out of shape when an agent take more than a few weeks to reject me.

Jodi Meadows said...

I think Zoe needs to pull her weight in this business and start learning the fine art of slush. That should fix things right up. :D

Anonymous said...

I think you just answered my question about the partial I sent last April. :) (Thank you to the gentleman for asking.) It sounds like you could use some in-house assistants. And more bookshelves. You're more overworked than my husband and he's a solo attorney.

In regards to your intestinal flu, I knocked mine out with a combination of cold cranberry juice (which supposedly has serious germ killing ability), ginger ale (not mixed together w/ the juice), and toast. I know it's disgusting to eat and drink, but if you force yourself to keep getting down whatever comes up, it seems you get over it faster. Hope you feel better.

Abby said...

Wow, you need an assistant badly.

Why is the book industry so understaffed? I know that Baen Books uses volunteer readers to sort through their slush ... could you get an unpaid intern or a volunteer to help out? Maybe a few teenagers or retirees who want a fun hobby? Maybe put out an ad in craigslist or post ads in the local schools and libraries. Yeah, I know that would cost time!