Friday, October 19, 2007

Tightening the belt

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Stretching-Paychecks.html

Can I just say "wow"?

I know that I'm extremely privileged, especially because Chris makes what's considered a very good salary in most other parts of the country (it's merely average here in Monmouth County, NJ). But just, wow. I hadn't realized that food costs had gone up so drastically in the last year, even though I should have kept an eye on that.

It makes me feel like a schmuck because I just threw out a donation request card from a local food pantry. I'm going to go look them up online, and see if there's anything I can do to contribute something.

Yeah, we've got bills to pay too, just like everyone else, but there's definitely people who have less than us.

3 comments:

Arjay said...

Accolades to you!!! Our post office has a food drive, too. How many cans can they carry in that satchel?

Cathy in AK said...

Location can put a crimp in the old budget. Where we are, it's well over $4/gallon for gas and $6 for a gallon of milk. Lucky for us, local driving isn't a big issue (no road longer than 50 miles), but with two growing kids, we go through a gallon of milk in under a week. Thank goodness for trips to the big city with visits to Costco : )

Kudos for bringing this to light and for taking action.

karen wester newton said...

The cost of housing is one reason folks are so stressed. It's gone up way out of proportion to other things. Folks used to spend 1/4 of their paycheck on the rent or mortgage. Now it's more like half.