Monday, October 15, 2007

Watashi no neko wa byouki desu.

Because it's not really my blog, you know, but belongs to Zoe...

I figured it would be good to give her loyal minions an update on how she is.

Yesterday, she decided it would be fun to throw up three times in the space of six hours, culminating with a very unhappy meow before she vomited on the doormat during the third time. (We are getting a new doormat.) We called our vet and got the answering machine. We then called the emergency vet. They said to bring her in.

We brought her in.

She got an x-ray done and was examined. Nothing looked like a visible obstruction. We were told that she had illeus because her colon was visibly distorted with gas on the x-ray. They gave her an injection to stop her vomiting and get rid of the gas. They injected fluids under her skin, to keep her hydrated.

They sent her home with instructions to be watched, and if she was doing ok by 3pm today, then she could have a little water. We locked her in our bathroom with her litterbox and a toy and a towel for a blanket/bed. We periodically checked on her. She seemed ok, but very out-of-sorts. She kept biting me for no reason.

Then, this morning, sometime between 3am and 5:30 am, she threw up again. Afterwards, she relieved herself in the litterbox, and had kitty diarrhea (pleasant, I know). We called the emergency vet again, since Monday is the one day that my vet opens late. They said to bring her back in.

And so, eating away at my life's savings, Zoe is now at the veterinary hospital.

She's sick, but they don't know why. It could be something as simple as the fact that we slowly started to change her over to adult food last Wednesday (one third adult::two thirds kitten); it could be an obstruction, meaning she ate a foreign object; it could be something else; it could be something they will never figure out.

She's not in any imminent danger of dying or anything like that. Just unhappy and sick. They're giving her fluids by IV, doing some bloodwork, and going to do a series of ultrasounds, to try and see if the gas in her intestines is blocking their view of a possible obstruction. She'll be there for two to three days, and we get regular updates.

That's about it for now, folks.

I shall go retreat into a corner in front of the computer and try to work, so as to avoid being a nervous cat mommy.

(The title of the post, by the way, is in Japanese and translates to: "My cat is sick.")


Lee Ann Ward said...

Very sorry to hear that Zoe is sick, Jenny :(
I hope kitty and mommy both feel better very soon. It is so hard to leave your little one at the vet, I know.

BuffySquirrel said...

I'm sorry Zoe is sick. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

We had all kinds of dire things explained to us that might happen to our Caitlin before her hernia was repaired, but fortunately none of them transpired. She's now all fixed up (at not inconsiderable expense).

Chumplet said...

Maybe Zoe is having sympathetic tummy pains. I hope she (and you) feel better soon.

Karen Duvall said...

It's so scary whenever our fur-babies get sick. I have three of the little darlings, and the oldest one gets an occasional bout of colitis. The vet has no clue how he gets it, but when he does, it's a godawful mess.

Jenny, do you have houseplants? Does Zoe like to nibble on the leaves? Some houseplants are poisonous to kitties. Our colitis-prone cat used to chew the leaves of our Christmas cactus and we think that was one of the causes of him getting sick.

From one very concerned cat-mom to another, I hope for Zoe's full recovery.

spyscribbler said...

Oh, but we love Zoe! She can't be sick!

I feel your worry. One of my babies was in the emergency room (and then hospital) for four days a few weeks ago.

Man, the bill was depressing. Cleaned me out. :-( But, of course, there wasn't any question. If one of her brothers or sisters get sick, then I'll have to hit the streets, LOL.

spyscribbler said...

Forgot to say ... I hope Zoe gets well soon! Will you post another picture when she does?

James Dashner said...

It was quite gratifying to see your post title and understand what it said!

Sorry about Zoe. If I could trade places with her and take away her suffering, I would. No, really, I would!

December/Stacia said...

Poor Zoe! I hope she's okay!

Kelly Swails said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the Zoester. :( Poor kitty! Hopefully the figure out what is wrong soon. My instincts tell me it's not the food ... but I don't have a good idea as to what it could be otherwise.

Kim said...

I'm sorry to hear Zoe's feeling under the weather, but at least you know she's in good hands (I know, I know - that means zippo, but still...) Hopefully shell be leaping out from under the bed to pounce on your ankles real soon.

Angelle Trieste said...

Kawaiso, Zoe-chan! Odaijini!

(for those of you who don't speak Japanese, it means "Poor Zoe. Get well soon.")

kathie said...

Oh, my gosh,that's so hard. Having a sick pet is so difficult and unfortunately, expensive. Hang in there, Zoe will be fine. Maybe she just needed some extra attention that day--a little drama queen perhaps?

moonrat said...

zannen desu yo ne. mou sugu genki ni narimasu you ni.

Anonymous said...

Poor Zoe! I hear ya on the dwindling savings. My dog just ran me up nearly 3 grand. She's doing great so that is the important thing.

Well wishes for Zoe!