Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans Day

I suppose I should say something about Veterans Day, which was created in the aftermath of World War I--the Great War, as they say. For some reason, I've always found the history involved in WWI and WWII to be far more fascinating than other wars, such as the American Civil War. Perhaps it's because it's a grander scope of conflict; perhaps because I simply don't connect with the Civil War. When it was being fought, my ancestors were living in shetls in Europe, farming and such. We were poor and we lived in white Russia and that was about it. Fun life as Jews.

Not to say that I don't care about slavery or the emancipation proclamation because I do think those are terribly important. I just don't connect with the Civil War itself, and I can't figure out why. Nor do I really want to do so, honestly.

What interests me about WWI and WWII is that they affected so many people. There were huge migrations of people; entire generations of young men cut down in their prime; and
it was an international conflict. I think also, because the series of literature about the Great War and others is so much more compelling to me. Once again, a matter of personal taste.

So, in no particular order, here are three books about WWI, which really brought it home to me as a conflict.

  • RILLA OF INGLESIDE by L. M. Montgomery
  • MRS. DALLOWAY by Virginia Woolf
  • THE MOFFATS series by Eleanor Estes (I know there's a part of one book that specifically deals with having a Victory Garden, but which one escapes me right now.)
(No, I'm still not better. Yes, I'm still taking Veterans Day off. Fare all thee well!)


Bernita said...

I love Rilla of Ingleside and re-read it every so often.
From stories in my family it is a very true reflection.

lucy pick said...

I have read Rilla of Ingeside too many times to count. Another great one, also about the Canadian home front if Robert MacNeil's (yes, that's the MacNeil Lehrer Newhour on PBS MacNeil) Burden of Desire.