Sunday, December 16, 2007

Client Books

(One last post before I leave on my vacation, yippee!)

This is basically a catch-all thread for me to show you which books I've sold (or a prior agent at the L. Perkins Agency sold for my client) that are already in print or are going to be published in 2008. I'm doing it for all the ones that have active Amazon links so far. It's nice to have the fruits of your labor turn into physical copies... it really is. =) I may not have written the books myself, but holding them in your hands? It's a damn cool feeling.

So without further ado...



THE PRINCES OF THE GOLDEN CAGE by Nathalie Mallet.

This book has been out since August, and has gotten a number of good reviews. There are justifiable complaints about the copy-editing on the book--both myself and the author are understandably upset because somewhere along the way, the ball was dropped. Many people don't know that Nathalie's first language is French, which contributes to some of the minor errors when she writes in English--errors which should have been edited out, but weren't. Yet despite that, this is a kick-ass book, and if I could write as well in French, as she writes in English, I'd be a happy woman. =)

THE KING'S DAUGHTERS by Nathalie Mallet is the sequel to THE PRINCES OF THE GOLDEN CAGE. Not only do we guarantee that there will be few errors within it, but it offers up another great adventure for Prince Amir that takes him far from the desert kingdom of Telfar, and into the icy wilds of the Sorvinkan Empire. (Pub date: July 1, 2008)



WASTELANDS: STORIES OF THE APOCALYPSE edited by John Joseph Adams.

This is the debut anthology compiled by John Joseph Adams, which features stories of post-apocalyptic life from Stephen King, George R. R. Martin, Jonathan Lethem, Octavia E. Butler, Orson Scott Card, and many others. It's already gotten a starred Publisher's Weekly review, which I'll excerpt below. (Pub date: January 1, 2008)

"Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse Edited by
John Joseph Adams. Night Shade (www.nightshadebooks.com), $15.95 paper (352p) ISBN 978-1-59780-105-8

This harrowing reprint anthology of 22 apocalyptic tales reflects the stresses of contemporary international politics, with more than half published since 2000. All depict unsettling societal, physical and psychological adaptations their authors postulate as necessary for survival after the end of the world. Keynoted by Stephen King's "The End of the Whole Mess," the volume's common denominator is hubris: that tragic human proclivity for placing oneself at the center of the universe, and each story uniquely traces the results. Some highlight human hope, even optimism, like Orson Scott Card's "Salvage" and Tobias Buckell's "Waiting for the Zephyr." Others, like James Van Pelt's "The Last of the O-Forms" and Nancy Kress's "Inertia," treat identity by exploring mutation. Several, like Elizabeth Bear's "And the Deep Blue Sea" and Jack McDevitt's "Never Despair," gauge the height of human striving, while others, like George R.R. Martin's "Dark, Dark Were the Tunnels," Carol Emshwiller's "Killers" and M. Rickert's "Bread and Bombs," plumb the depths of human prejudice, jealousy and fear. Beware of Paolo Bacigalupi's far-future "The People of Sand and Slag," though; that one will break your heart. (Feb.) [starred review]"



THE VACANT THRONE by Joshua Palmatier

This is the conclusion to Joshua's epic "Throne" series, and it's been well worth the wait. It's great dark fantasy, and well worth the read. I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on a copy. =) (Pub date: January 2, 2008)

OFF LIMITS by Jordan Summers

A sexy category romance about an ATF agent forced to go undercover as a bumbling flight attendant.



THE JOURNAL OF CURIOUS LETTERS by James Dashner

This is the beginning volume of a new middle-grade fantasy series, about a young boy who must stop the very fabric of reality from being destroyed. What can be better than that? You know you want to read it, if only to figure out why the main character is suddenly getting letters from remote parts of Alaska, among other things... (Pub date: March 13, 2008)




THE MIRRORED HEAVENS by David J. Williams

Finally, last, but not least, is the first volume in David J. Williams' Autumn Rain trilogy. This is the book that I sold as "John le Carre on sci-fi crack"; it's a twenty-second century espionage thriller that grabs you from the start and doesn't let go the entire ride through. If you want to read one of the best new science fiction authors out there, you *need* to check out Dave's book. (Pub date: May 20, 2008)

3 comments:

kiwi said...

I just skimmed this list so I might have missed it, but I didn't see Vintage, a ghost story by steve Berman. I thought Steve was one of your clients?

Ty Johnston said...

What a coincidence ...

I reviewed "The Princes of the Golden Cage" for Apex Digest Online. It was a cool book overall, one of the funnest reads for me this year. Looking forward to Mallet's next one in 2008.

Katharine said...

I'm not sure what the protocol is on commenting on an old post (I should keep up better, I know!), but I had a question. I noticed on Amazon that Nathalie Mallet's Princes has the same cover art as Sea of Sorrows by Michelle West. I'm not trying to be snarky, but I'm genuinely wondering how something like that happens and if it happens a lot.