Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Happy Chanukah!

Tonight is the first night of Chanukah or Hanukkah, however you choose to spell it and say it. =)

It's mostly a quiet holiday for us this year, as my father is away on a business trip, my brother is now out in California with his sweetie, and my father's side of the family doesn't acknowledge my husband (hence, not seeing them during the holiday). So Chris and I plan to troop over to my mom's tonight, where we will light the first candle and eat latkes and Dusty, the barking Labrador, will bark at us in love. Zoe gets her candle lighting time tomorrow, and most of the rest of the holiday, as I assume we'll be using our own menorah.

It's also a quiet holiday for us, present-wise, which I think it's going to be for a lot of people this year. The American economy isn't doing well at all, especially with the housing market tanking. We're pretty decent, financially, but with Zoe's surprise vet hospital stay, we're keeping things low-key--it only makes sense. =) Although, if anyone can find me a new Wii to purchase that's under $300, I'll happily give you that or a spare kidney. I've got a husband that badly wants a next-gen gaming system...

Anyway, I wonder if it's useful to make some sort of book-related present list, to show people what I'm looking forward to reading, or what I've liked recently, etc. Last year I did a Dream Books post, and those actually still pretty much stand as what I'd like. But there's been a tremendous amount of cool fiction that's come out lately, so I almost feel like I should pimp it to you all. Opinions?

And as for me, in terms of serious presents, there's really only one thing I want for Chanukah: a new car with a big bow on it. Yes, like in the Lexus commercials. I just don't see it happening now. =)

7 comments:

Kimber An said...

Happy Chanukah! I hope you enjoy this special time with your family.
;)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

We actually don't do gifts at Hanukkah. Instead, we're having people over for latkes and going to a couple of parties. The memories last longer that way and if we can teach some of our non-Hanukkah celebrating friends why Hanukkah is fun without presents, so much the better.

Megan Frampton said...

I always like reading lists like that, so go for it. Pimp away.

I love latkes, too. Not that I've had them in years, but anything that's potato and fried is good with me.

Renee Lynn Scott said...

I'm a lurker, but Happy Hanukkah.

Matthew E Taft said...

I never know what I want for Christmas, and my wife and mother have been pounding into me to make some kind of list. So I did. It mostly consisted of some books I saw tonight at the store that seemed interesting, and some camping and tobacco pipe stuff I saw online. I'm sure you're like everyone else--with too many books to read--but for what it's worth, my favorite read from last year was the Wizard Knight series by Gene Wolfe. Simply a masterpiece.

Dead Man Walking said...

Haha on the Wii. But thanks for the reminder, because just this morning I Googled "How to get a Wii" and got a ton of hits. Many were blog entries that my employer blocks, so I guess I'll redo my search here from home right now!

Dead Man Walking said...

Just to follow up, I went and signed up for email alerts on the WII at www.nowinstock.net

Today, they emailed me when toysrus.com got some in stock, I got an email at work, clicked on it and it took me right to the wii product page. Bingo, bought it. They were sold out in an hour. Of course, it wasn't for the 249.99 basic wii....it was for the 600.00 bundle with 8 games included. But I wasn't sure I'd get another chance. Around 4:30 this afternoon I got another email alert, this time for the 249.99 wii at Amazon.com.

Anyway, it worked out for me. I think for an extra $2, they'll text/email you when a brick-and-mortar store in your zip code gets them in stock, too.