Friday, December 28, 2007

Late night reading

I think I have a good job. It has its stressful moments, but by and large, the good ones make up for them. Finding just the right publisher for a book. Selling a book. Discovering a novel by a new author that keeps you reading until 4:30 am in the morning. Reading it electronically, in my case, may I add.

I got the last one of those tonight, and oh my, it renews all my faith in being an agent. I think I can sell this book, but if I can't, the author is good enough that I know I can sell something else by them. Besides the fact that literally, I was glued to my computer screen for the last four hours, as I read the entire thing.

I'm not going to run out and sign them as a client right now, since mind you, I haven't slept and these decisions are best done when you are more awake than I am now. But oh my, I LOVE finding good novels. It makes my life worth living; makes it just a little bit richer.

Keep writing, guys. Seriously, I want more books to read. =)

6 comments:

Jodi Meadows said...

Hah! Jenny, you just made a bunch of potential clients fall off their chairs. Careful!

But yes, I think that must be a great feeling, finding something so amazing. Yay!

Kelly Swails said...

Seriously. I'd be freaking out if Jenny had my full ... :)

Congrats on finding a good one, Jenny. Get some sleep!

Anonymous said...

Besides the fact that literally, I was glued to my computer screen for the last four hours, as I read the entire thing.

Sounds painful. ;)

MW

Cindy said...

I fell off my chair. To find an agent actually admitting to reading a potential clients work is worth it, however. Thanks for starting my heart today.

Cindy said...

Well, I fell off my chair. It's such a shock to find an agent actually reading a potential client's work. Some day maybe it will happen to me. In the meantime, you started my heart pumping for the day. Thanks.

Kasthu said...

Congratulations! Don't you love that feeling? I've worked at literary agencies, and know all too well that's there's a lot of junk gets submitted.

Also, how did you decide to become an agent? Were you an editor before?