Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hugs for everyone

I seem to have a talent for starting flame wars, don't I? =)

Some people think I have a tremendous advantage writing a novel as an agent. (I still dispute that mostly.)

Some people say, "You write well, just write the book already!" (Thank you, I'm sincerely flattered.)

And other people say, "Cool, here's what I'm writing." (Awesome, I love hearing people's book ideas.)

I've also discovered that even more people in the world seem to read this blog, which continues to amaze me and astound me and makes me feel sorta loved.

So, hugs for everyone! I hug you all! =)


Megan Frampton said...


I haven't read the flame hoo-ha, so I don't know what people are saying precisely, but how can anyone give a fig about what you do in your spare time? And thanks for the hug!

Ramen w/ Cheese & Tuna said...


Hehe. I see a lot of reasons why it more difficult to publish when you're an agent. First there is stereotype. People are terrible with assuming things. Those who've heard of you or at least know you're an agent might get the 'oh, that's just a book done by an agent' attitude. That would make my skull explode.

The whopper is I imagine writers want their babies to be accepted because their good, because of the merit of the work itself. Getting published just 'because you're an agent' or 'you know the right people' is kind of an insult to your story, especially one you believe in and put a lot of work in to.

You strike me as the kind of person who wants their work valued for what it is, not one who wants special treatment. I think you're very brave for writing and writing under a pseudonym. And I think your novel will be stronger for it.

Chris Redding said...

Missed the flame war, but I'll take the hug.

Anonymous said...

Good luck finishing the novel, Jenny!! 7,000 words is a good start!


Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yo, married woman.

Keep your hands to yourself. Trevor's been itching to (ahem) hug a married woman.


(He wanted to stop over himself, but I wasn't sure that'd be a smart move. Given that you don't know him as well as most of my groupies.)

Kristine Overbrook said...

Hug back :)

My writing is going slowly too. Cheers to doing it at all.

Just please promise to let us know should said pseudonym sell her book and the release info.

There will be a collective cheer from your virtual friends.

Anonymous said...

Awww... thanks :) And to you! Cuddles are the best.

booklady said...

Good luck with your novel. As an unpublished writer it can seem like those who have ties to the publishing world have a big advantage, but in the end, yes, the book just has to be good. I'm sure it will be, though, since I'm sure you've seen plenty that does or doesn't work in a book.

By the way, I found you via Nathan Bransford (so I'm a little snow...been a bit behind on my RSS feeds.) Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm glad I found you, although I admit to being a little annoyed because the last thing I needed was another blog to follow. Ah, well. I'll just have to suck it up I guess.

kiwi said...

... screw the fame war, get over to the promo for Mirrorheavens, well worth it. So too the blurbs on

Michele Lee said...

Finishing the book is it's own reward. Getting it published is a long and painful bonus :)

Ink Johnson said...

I think it's awesome that you're writing a book. If you work with books all day long, you should have the magical experince of writing one at least once. I'm sure it'll rock.

Oooo, you love hearing people's book ideas? Or is this a totally inappropriate place to go off on my novel sales pitch?

Hm. Just answered my own question.

Anyway, good luck with the novel! May the muses smile upon you. :)

sb said...

How do you have the time?! I am so impressed. I ended up leaving publishing for teaching because I never had time to write (and the fact that I actually get more money as a teacher...sad, sin't it?)

After spending all day reading and writing and on phone calls, and then coming home and reading, I'm amazed you have the energy to work on your own manuscript.

Good for you!