Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The little anthology that could

I don't often like singling out my clients for individual praise, because I feel that maybe it might make the others feel bad, and that's never nice.

But I'd like to tell you all, with the utmost pride, that WASTELANDS, the post apocalyptic anthology edited by John Joseph Adams, has gone back to press for a quite admirable second print run.

To understand the significance of this, you have to know that anthologies don't always sell the most copies, and because of that, they are notoriously hard to sell to publishers. I believe short fiction is the lifeblood of the speculative fiction genre (even though it pays so little!), and that among the editors working with it, John happens to be quite talented. He put so much work into this anthology: months of tracking down the permission rights for stories, lots of effort to get some of the big names to sign on, and then finally landing a spectacular Publisher's Weekly review with it.

This is the little anthology that could. John believed in it so much, and through his hard work (and some agenting help from me), he's been able to make it a reality. To say that I am thrilled about how it's selling is an understatement. =)

If you want to check it out, one of the easiest ways to do so is to order it from Amazon, who will soon have it back in stock (remember, it's printing right now).

Go forth and read: WASTELANDS edited by John Joseph Adams


Tia Nevitt said...

I don't often chime in here, but I think you should feel perfectly free to brag about your client's accomplishments. You rejected my own novel, but that won't make me feel bad about anyone else's accomplishments.

Congratulations to JJA! I keep seeing this anthology all over the blogosphere.

Kosmo said...

That's great news. Congrats to John, and congrats to you, Jenny, for working your agent magic to help sell it in the first place.

Ryan Field said...

I ordered it and I hope this starts a trend in publishing. I'd like to see more anthologies.

kiwi said...

Yup, folks, if you didn't purchase this the first time round, don't miss out again. This is an anthology worth reading.

Daniel W. Powell said...

It's a very fine collection. Adams has a nice eye for the sub-genre and has included a thorough reading list following the short stories. This collection had me up all night, and I wrote a review over at my blog,

Sheesh...a little news teaser out here in Florida just mentioned we have two serial killers "on the loose" in the Sunshine State.