Monday, March 03, 2008


I am having trouble articulating my feelings regarding this article, although the fact that I spent a good deal of time reading it with a dropped jaw should tell you something.

Want to know how I would prove that I was Jewish, if I had to?

My maternal great-great grandfather was shot dead by the Nazis coming out of synagogue in Poland. We know this because it's written down in Yiddish, in a history of the town in Poland where he was killed.

Ask me again if I'm Jewish, why don't you?

(The anger is directed at the state of Israel, not at the readers of the blog.)


Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ahh, it seems that heard-learned lessons have been forgotten. What happened to the attitude of "We lost so many Jews in the 1940s that a Jew is a Jew, each one as precious as the last."

Oh, yeah. Sorry. Orthodoxy killed it when they decided us Reform Jews weren't good enough. So did the attitudes toward intermarriage. Frankly, I'm not sure it ever really existed outside of my mind and belief system. (although it should)

But you know what? A Jew is a Jew and each is as precious as the next.

Just like a person's a person, no matter how small.

Ryan Field said...

"Speechless" is the word.

Chris Redding said...

I'm in awe.
I never understand exclusive vs inclusive.
I prefer inclusive.
The more the merrier.
Chris Redding

Elissa M said...

The true irony is that in Nazi Germany, Sharon's ethnicity would not have been questioned unless she claimed not to be a Jew.

kiwiauthor said...

hmmm, more f***w*** who refused to 'get' the difference between race and ethnicity, or more importantly, refuse to see that the latter is the only way to escape the politics of pain the former has created for so many for far too long.

... oh and I have a dream, Martin Luther's dream!


Riley said...

That is really stupid. I don't know how I would prove that I'm Jewish (because technically, I'm not. My mom's not Jewish. My dad is, and it's supposedly passed on maternally) but you could probably prove it with DNA.

sb said...

Jeez. We are right in the middle of our Holocaust unit (I teach 8th grade ELA) and this reminds me of how Germans had to prove they were German, how they had to go back and show that 8 generations of blood was "clean" of any jewish, slavic, gypsy, or afro-european "taint." And then, they would let the "Aryans" marry. How sad that these people are giving such similar treatment.

MelindaG said...

My cousin got caught by this. Turned out his grandmother's family had been converted by a fraudulent "rabbi" and he wasn't considered Jewish. He and his Israeli fiance hopped the border to Lebanon and got married there. Then the family took another two years and much money to be properly converted. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

I believe a religion should be something one believes in, not someting one is born into.
How ridiculous to have to proof one's beliefs through bloodline, rather than through thought and action.
After all, a baby is not Jewish, or Catholic, or Budhist, or anything until that child grows up and understands what God, prayer, sacrifice, and religion is.
The sooner we stop linking religion and blood, the sooner a more peaceable world can perhaps come into being.

Anonymous said...

yet you married out of faith...don't preach unless you plan to practice

Jenny Rappaport said...

Anonymous @ 10:39am: Just because I married a non-Jew doesn't mean that I don't consider myself Jewish or that I don't plan to raise any future children I have as Jews.

If you want to make statements like that, have the courage to do it under your own name.

Kimber An said...

sb, my husband's family went through that as they survived the war years just like a lot of good people who happened to be German but not Nazi did.

Yes, it would be nice if the rest of the world recognized religion in faith and compassion rather than in blood and politics. Methinks there would be a lot less war.

Chumplet said...

Boy, that takes the cake. I'm going through a similar paper-pushing bureaucratic dance to prove I'm part Miq'Maq.

It should come in handy when I write my memoirs (tongue firmly in cheek).

A person should be allowed to be the faith they choose, and shouldn't have to prove it. The fact that they embrace the culture/religion/ethnic group should be enough.