Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Various things

I'm dead-tired, after having woken up from a nightmare at 6:25 am today (gah, way too early!), and then forcing myself to stay up and watch American Idol, despite the DVR. Yeah, I'm smart, I know.

Various things, numbered, for ease of my brain:
  1. I'm apparently going to BEA this year.
  2. If you haven't been up on the news, I'm teaching at Odyssey on June 19th and 20th.
  3. The nut bread recipe from HOW TO COOK EVERYTHING is *good*. (This is what you do when you wake up too early from nightmares--you bake.)
  4. Somehow, I totally missed the fact that Jacqueline Carey is the guest of honor at Lunacon this year, and now I'm kicking myself because I love her Kushiel series. Have I mentioned I'm not attending Lunacon?
  5. I have several contracts to mail out; yay, book deals to be announced soon.
  6. I went with my mother today, to help her pick out a gift for a bridal shower, and we managed to spend almost two hours in Pottery Barn and Williams-Sonoma. This was largely because none of the damn things on the registry were either in stock or looked at all attractive. Note to brides out there: Pick pretty things! =)
  7. I am still debating what the birthday contest for LIT SOUP will be.
  8. If you haven't noticed, WASTELANDS edited by John Joseph Adams, is back in stock at Amazon. Go forth and purchase!
  9. The slush pile is slowly, and I really mean slowly, going down. One day, my living room carpet may reappear.
  10. Taxes continue to suck.
  11. I have a birthday in nine days! =)
  12. New holidays to celebrate, having married a part-Irish man: St. Patrick's Day. Where we apparently gather for the express purpose of eating corned beef and cabbage. Not an adequate substitute for kosher corned beef on rye.
  13. A baker's dozen, and it's bed for me. (I'll attempt to be more coherent tomorrow. =)

7 comments:

strangerface said...

# from nightmares--you bake.)
# Somehow, I totally missed the fact that Jacqueline Carey is the guest of honor at Lunacon this year, and now I'm kicking myself because I love her Kushiel series. Have I mentioned I'm not attending Lunacon?

She is? I missed that too. I love those books. I've only been to Lunacon once though so it's not like I'm a regular.

That's really cool that you're teaching at Odyssey! Congrats!
Emily, Lori's Intern

Matthew E Taft said...

Hi Jenny,

I haven't posted here in a while. I hoep you and your health are doing well. I didn't really need to post this publicly on your blog, but didn't have other private contact information for you at hand. Didn't you use to have a wishlinst on your blog from Amazon? If so, can you tell me how you did it? I just created an Amazon wishlist, and would like to have it show up on my blog (the actual book names in a list or something).

Happy Birthday, if I don't hear from you before then!

Jenny Rappaport said...

Matthew, I mostly just muddled around on Amazon until I figured out how to do it. If I had to replicate it again, I'd be back to reading the Amazon pages about pasting in bits of HTML to your blog/website.

Ryan Field said...

I agree...it's not the best substitute for kosher corned beef on rye :)

Jan said...

We always have our corned beef on St. Patrick's Day, but I've stopped doing the usual everything-boiled-together route. I boil the corned beef (1 hour per pound), then bake it with a nice glaze while cooking veggies in the water left over from boiling the beef. The veggies (carrots, potatoes, and cabbage) don't end up overcooked, and the corned beef is tastier.

The glaze (from the Joy of Cooking):

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon ginger

Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes.

I might add a little orange marmalade to this.

And you're right, good deli corned beef on rye is still better.

~V said...

Hi Jenny,

I was just wondering what you think of a site like www.ABNABooks.com which was launched by Amazon Semifinalists in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award?

Could you ever see shopping for a book on such a site?

Thanks.
P.S. Happy Almost Birthday

H0llyk911 said...

Oh - I LOVE "HOW TO COOK EVERYTHING" - go nuts one night and make the recipe for Butterscotch Brownies (heaven on a plate) and THEN - if you're feeling particularly frisky (or still stuck in no-man's nightmareland) make the Blueberry Cobbler but sub in two cans of light, drained peaches. And forget Nestle - the Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is AMAZING too! Saved my life when a group of man-boys swarmed my house the night after Halo 3 was released on XBox! :)

http://journals.aol.com/h0llyk911/WelcometoMyLife/