Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Fibro fog and other goodies

Someone just asked where I've been lately, on the last post I wrote, and then I realized that wow, it's been a week since I've posted and perhaps I should. And no, this isn't an April Fool's Day post of any kind because I think the holiday is sort of silly.

So let's see, where have I been... mostly not there, if that makes any sense. There's a mental thing that happens sometimes, when you get fibromyalgia, which is aptly named, "fibro fog". And that's pretty much been me, the last week, although it happily seems to have cleared up now. But when you have it, nothing really gets done as fast as you'd like, and it literally does feel like you're moving through a fog. It's not a sensation that most people would ever want to experience, and I count myself lucky that I don't get it very often. And that it's gone now. =)

I've also been playing catchup with work, although I love the new electronic submissions; they're making things a lot easier. My new electronic intern starts work this week, and a whole bunch of queries are going to be winging their way over to him.

I've also been going to physical therapy, which as I expected, is alternately bliss and hell. If a very nice man tells you he's going to massage your shoulder with a giant stick with little rollers on it... be very, very afraid. It will hurt so badly, even though he didn't apply any pressure to it. But it was sort of cool afterwards because I could lift my right arm above my head without pain; doesn't seem like a big deal to most people, but it is to me.

And that's about it, this last week. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back into my hermitage, so to speak, to get some work done before I have to go pick up my new contacts. (Hooray, glasses be gone for awhile!)

Oh, and I bought my plane ticket for BEA, so I'm definitely going to be there. =)

11 comments:

Thacher said...

Is this a new person in addition to Spencer or instead of Spencer?

Thacher said...

Oh, and of course, I hope things continue to un-fogged. I've known a couple of people with the fibro and I've heard how bad it can get. Sorry for my rude brevity before. This is what I get for writing comments at work...

Jenny Rappaport said...

The brevity wasn't rude and this is a person in addition to Spencer. =)

I also have a top secret slush reader who lives in the middle of the country. =)

David said...

"Electronic intern" makes me visualize a kind of Robbie the Robot. When he reads a really bad submission, he crackles, "Danger, danger, Jenny Rappaport!"

JohnO said...

Man, I'd LOVE an electronic intern. Then I would have to find a place for it to sit!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Will the e-intern answer your E-mail and read E-books?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better and have returned!

spyscribbler said...

I feel for you! I haven't had fibro-fog for years, but it relapsed with a slam this week. There was something I used to take that used to help me think, but I can't remember what it was, it's been that long. Bummer.

I hope you emerge soon!

Thacher said...

That's good to know. I feel Spencer and I have a bond. Namely, I sent something in, and he asked to see more of it.

They don't come deeper than that. ;)

Ryan Field said...

Glad you're back!!

Nonny said...

I sympathize -- I've had fibromyalgia for almost four years now, and I'm well familiar with how debilitating the fog can be. Here's hoping that it clears up soon!