- This query is normally something I would turn down. It's not got the most compelling hook, and it has character names that are rife with accents, which drives me bonkers. But it's got an interesting take on fairies as secret agents, the author was recently a contender in the ABNA, and the author is 16. That's good enough for me to take a look at it. I'm asking for a partial.
- This query is for a cliched-sounding paranormal romance. It's not ringing my bells. I'm passing on it.
- Another query about fairies, spelled as "faery" this time. Not that I mind, since it's not only a sassy take on the subject using YA themes, but it sounds like just the type of light happy novel that would sell well now. Plus, it's by a friend of a friend. I'm asking for a partial. (As a note of clarification, if I hadn't liked the query, even though it's by a friend of a friend, I would have politely turned it down.)
- A YA novel query, which bills itself as an adventure novel. It doesn't seem very adventurous or interesting to me, so I'm passing on it.
- A query for a generic fantasy novel, with a megalomaniac trying to take over the world. Explain to me how this is different than the norm? I'm passing on it.