Friday, May 30, 2008

Letter to the convention

Dear BEA,

I miss you. I enjoyed you last year, even though the Jacob Javits Center had no discernible air conditioning and I was exhausted by the end of each day. I enjoyed meeting the out-of-town publishers, the foreign agents, and getting all the free books. I think I'm missing the free books most this year.

But BEA isn't just about the books, it's about the people that come to you. This year I could have gotten a chance to meet Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, to see my friend Ken Scholes, and to stand on line for authors whose work I liked (inbetween meetings, that is). I would have been able to spend almost a full week with my intern (unnamed for his privacy), as well as our junior agent, Spencer Ellsworth, and my colleague Lori Perkins. I would have gotten to bathe in your book-y goodness.

So although you're a giant convention and you don't miss me at all, I thought I'd let you know how I feel in this public letter. We won't discuss my health, except to say that I'm still sick, and even if I lived in LA, I wouldn't have been able to come and attend. But please pass on my fond regards to everyone else who's getting the chance to attend--and save me a badge for next year, ok?



hldyer said...

I'm new to publishing (just beginning to market my first novel).

My protagonist was named Beatrice by her adoptive mother because it means Blessed Traveler.

All the agent blog postings about "BEA" in the last week have made me do many double-takes. But knowing the etymology of the name makes your experience especially ironic.

Hope you're feeling better!

Elissa M said...

I admit I am one of those people who try to see the best of things. It's terrible you're sick and have to miss BEA. But, isn't it nice your illness struck before the plane took off? Wouldn't it be even worse to be in LA right now? I know this does little to ease your pain, but it's the best I can offer besides sympathy. Get well soon.

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry you missed BEA this year!! Even more sorry that you are so incredibly ill! I wish you the speediest recovery. I've heard that the nasty superbug is if that's what you have I do hope you recover as quick as possible.

Kiersten said...

Man, thinking you're going to get to go and then missing out is much, much worse than just knowing about BEA and being jealous of people in the industry who get to attend.

You have my sympathy!

Kristin Laughtin said...

Feel better, and know that BEA will still love to have you next year.

Anonymous said...

I'm a writer who has attended BEA for three consecutive years in a row. It's the highlight of my year, but I couldn't swing the trip to the west coast this year. All week I've been feeling as though everybody in the publishing business is there, and I miss it, too. I commiserate.