Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My suitcase took a vacation

I'm supposed to be in LA right now, for BEA, except I'm not. The story goes like this:

I got to the airport yesterday afternoon. I went through security. I lugged my heavy laptop through the terminal with me; I was a little bit late, so I got on the plane immediately. I kept thinking that perhaps Newark airport didn't have the air conditioning on high enough, since I was very warm, and it was an exceptionally humid and hot day in NJ.

So I sat on the plane, squished in, but happy that it was a 757. I got my own little TV screen! This was getting better and better. I could deal with being hot, if I had my own TV to watch on the plane ride to the west coast. And then they closed the cabin door, and I was promptly, violently ill.

So ill, in fact, that the Continental employees removed me from the aircraft, and called a paramedic.

In hindsight, this was an exceptionally intelligent decision on their part, because a half hour later, I proceeded to be even more violently ill, and they probably would have had to turn the plane around. (And wouldn't that have been fun, having 300 passengers pissed off at me?)

Anyway, my suitcase took a nice vacation to LAX, and I went home with Chris. I'm up at the moment because my dear, wonderful husband, who I am so happy I married, is putting clean sheets on the bed. And then I'm going to be resting. In fact, he's done now. So I'm off to sleep, and I'm sure the suitcase had a lovely trip without me. It's back in NJ now, and scheduled to arrive at my house later this evening. I shall sadly wave at the convention I won't be attending.

20 comments:

Ryan Field said...

That's awful. But at least you got sick before the plane left.

Laura (Kramarsky) Curtis said...

Oh, no! I hope it's nothing serious! Best wishes...it's awful to be ill, but it's awfuler, if you know what I mean, far from home.

Kosmo said...

I'm so sorry you were sick. I hope you get well soon. At least your luggage will be able to tell you about the good times it had.

Kristin Laughtin said...

That's terrible! Feel better soon, please.

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness, I hope you recover quickly and it's nothing serious.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Holy smoke, woman! Take care of yourself! (and I hope Chris is changing the sheets 'cause you sweated through them...)

Bummer you'll miss BEA but if that's what it takes to make you healthy, I'm all for it. Besides, Trevor's jonesing for you ... you still interested in the boy?

ipgirl said...

Ugh! Poor you! I hope you're feeling better.
It's too bad you're missing BEA, I love it but I can imagine how hellish it could be if you're sick.

Anonymous said...

Gaw, I was going to comment and ask for a status on a query I sent you back on 3/12, but now I'll just say that I hope you feel better soon!

BB

Vivien V. said...

Feel better, Jenny.

Amelia said...

How awful! On behalf of New Jersey, I deeply apologize for our weather yesterday. Your husband sounds like a fantastic person, though, if that's any consolation.

Amelia, from New Jersey

Cathy in AK said...

Oh no! But better (relatively) that you were ill BEFORE getting on the plane than to get all the way to L.A. and be sick so far from home.

Many kudos to your husband. Feel better soon.

Jodi Meadows said...

Oh URGH. How terrible. But yeah, probably a good thing you started before takeoff.

Sounds kind of like the Wiscon Crud that people've been getting. Maybe find someone who went to Wiscon and see if you have the same symptoms? It sounds terrible.

Feel better. *hugs from a safe distance away*

annathepiper said...

Oh geez, that's awful! I'm sorry to hear about this, but glad to hear that they got you home okay and that your husband is looking after you. Rest well!

Anonymous said...

Good Heavens! Get well soon. This must be an "East Coast Bug" because we have it here with a vengence. Kept telling my daughter -- to took exams today violently ill -- that if she had to rolf she should aim for her Chem teacher.

David J. Williams said...

oh no! that sounds awful. hope you feel better, Jenny . . .

Mary Paddock said...

Oh ick. I do hope you feel better soon.
'Hope your suitcase comes back with one of those "My suitcase went to BEA and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" t-shirts.

Kristine Overbrook said...

I hope you feel better soon.

joycemocha said...

Good grief, this bug is going around!

It's not just the Wiscon bug, we've had it in kids here at school on the Mountain. Either it's this bug, or the pneumonia bug--we have a lot of that going around all of a sudden.

And it's wet, cold and raining. Um, even in Oregon that's gotta stop sometime, right? Dang it, it's not cold enough to ski, either!

Best wishes for getting well soon. I had something like this last fall. Take care of yourself, and keep hydrated.

Nancy Fulda said...

Sorry about the aborted trip. Hope you feel better soon!

beth said...

Get better soon!