Monday, May 12, 2008

Waiting for Windows

Files backed up; at least the important ones in My Documents, so no work data is lost. We copied over all my foreign entertainment into a different directory, since it was living on the desktop, and we worried that the reinstall would nuke it. It may still. I have all my mp3s on a secondary drive, at least.

And now, Windows XP is trying to "repair" itself. It's currently stuck. Oh joy.

I have nothing against Macs, but I really like my windows box; it's a year old, custom-built, and it's PRETTY. Really, I think I posted a picture of the case about a year ago. Plus, I can't play the majority of the games I like on a Mac. Biggest argument against getting one as a laptop, honestly. (And I do need a new laptop at some point.)

In other fascinating news, we seem to have reached a detente in dog/cat relations. They are both asleep on the study floor.

Oh, and we finally bit the bullet and bought massive bookcases from Ikea. They won't last a ton of years, but for what we can afford right now, and the storage I need for 1500+ books, they'll do. =)


Jill said...

I have PC-using friends who claim that while Macs don't fail often, when one does fail, it fails spectacularly. I don't know how true that is, but it's enough to make me stick with PCs.

You really do have my sympathy. I keep flashing back to when I was watching my friend try to fix my desktop (and this was my business computer, with a hard drive full of order info and graphic design work -- even though I was able to back up most of what I needed, my head was still exploding from the stress). The moment of doom went something like this:

Computer: *ERROR*
Friend: I can fix that.
Computer: *ERROR*
Friend: That's fixable, too.
Computer: *ERROR*
Friend: ...Uh oh.

It's never good when you get an "Uh oh" from your tech expert. Heh. Good luck.

Don said...

You do realize that you can run Windows on a Mac (although other than games, that seems like a painful prospect). And if you live anywhere near an Apple Store, you'll find that the ability to go into the store to get help from the genius bar is a wonderful thing.

Jodi Meadows said...

You could get a Mac for work. You'd still have your PC for games!

Macs are beautiful. Don't let games be the only thing holding you back!

LeeAnn Flowers said...

My husband is so jealous of me. My laptop still runs Windows XP, since I bought it just before the big Vista changeover. His desktop is Vista, and he HATES it. It has given him nothing but headaches since he got it. So, since my laptop will need replaced in a year or two, he's weighing the pros and cons of getting a Mac.

I, personally, don't play games on the computer (ducks garbage thrown by other card-carrying geeks), but that's where all my writing is done. As long as I have a good word processing program and enough memory to make the occasional music video when I need to let the brain crash, I'm fine.

He, on the other hand, handles nearly all the audio/visual for our church. All the bells and whistles that I shrug off are very important for him.

Any input on this one?

Ryan Field said...

You're lucky. Asleep on the floor in the same room. It took years before my cat would even walk into the same room as the dog.

Heather Wells said...

I'd always hated Macs (slow, kludgy, didn't run the programs I needed) till they switched to Intel and introduced Leopard (Mac OS X ver 10.5). Now I've mostly replaced my PCs with Macs...mostly. Internet Explorer isn't available for Mac OS, and there are sites out there that are just not functional on any other browser, so I have Windows installed on my iMac just to run IE from time to time. I didn't install Windows using Mac's Bootcamp utility, which would have allowed me to boot right up to Windows (for a speedier experience), because I really just need IE, but people who have set up Windows using Bootcamp (which comes free as part of the Mac OS) say that these newer Macs are running Windows better than many PC computers. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true, not because the Intel Macs are such spiffy, unique tech but because the hardware variables are minimized.

Then there's the service issue. The little piece that you turn to unlock the battery broke on my husband's MacBook last week. Apple had a return box delivered to him the next day (Thursday). Friday morning the website showed Apple had received it. Friday afternoon it was fixed. Monday it was back in his hands. Whenever I've had to send a nonApple computer back for repairs, I've gotten a label, not a box, to return it with. The label was for ground shipping. It'd take a week for the company to receive my computer, a week to fix it, and a week for it to come back to me, ground--no matter how much I begged and offered to pay for overnight shipping out of my own pocket.

The hands-down best feature of Leopard (for me), however, is Time Machine. Incredibly easy to set up, and I never have to think about backing up ever again. (The interface, though, is so cool that sometimes I open it up just to poke around in previous versions of my files.)

So don't write Macs off completely as a laptop choice! I'd had nine Windows machines (desktops and laptops) before I got my MacBook, and I've never loved a computer as much as I love my MacBook.

...shutting up now, going back to lurking....

Scott said...

I'm pretty much operating system agnostic. I don't care that much which OS I use, as long as I can customize my computer and run the applications I like.

I do most of my work on my XP laptop. The main app I have to use for work only runs on Windows, and doesn't play nicely when Windows is emulated. But my XP doesn't look like your XP.

I use several open source apps to make Windows work the way I like it, including apps that give XP functionality I like from Linux and Mac, and even the one or two tolerable things from Vista. I've also tweaked Windows resource files for some fun little things, like changing the Start menu to the Scott menu. And when I shut down, I select "Escape From Windows" from the Scott menu.

My laptop is set up to dual boot between XP and Linux. My favorite Linux is OpenSUSE, but right now I'm using Ubuntu on this laptop because it plays nicer with Windows in my dual-boot setup.

In many ways, I prefer Linux to Windows, but there are several free apps for Windows that help me with my writing and that have kept me going to Windows first.

And I've used Mac extensively (including very recently) but have never really become a convert. It looks pretty and works pretty well, but it's always caused me trouble. Mostly, though, I rank Mac third because, beyond cosmetics like color and icons, it's not as customizable and the coolest open source apps often do not work on a Mac. I also strongly dislike Safari (although it's better than IE, which just seems to get uglier and uglier with each new version).

If I had the know-how to create an operating system of my own, it would be highly customizable and run a bunch of free, professional-quality apps that do what I want them to. Hmm, that pretty much describes Linux, except the Linux geek factor is a little too high. It's still hard for a lot of people to use. I suppose my personal OS would be easy (or seem to be) like the Mac and XP, free and powerful like Linux, and highly customizable.

Anthony Tardiff said...

Poor Jenny. You must be sick of all the pro-mac comments by now! But I can't resist:

This is the primary reason why I use a mac. (I love that company name: it's so cozy.)

And as for macs crashing more spectacularly than PCs, I've never experienced that. But I used to chuckle when my best friend reinstalled Windows every three months to get rid of the kludge that built up in the depths of the system and made the computer run sluggishly. (He now owns a five-year-old mac Powerbook that is so beat up that it no longer latches shut and it requires fine adjustment to get the power cord to connect. But he won't get a new computer because, he claims, "This one works just fine." And in terms of speed and system performance, it does.)

I have another friend who owns a MacBook Pro (high end mac laptop) and he runs Medieval II: Total War on it in all its glory, despite it being a Windows-only game. It makes me green with envy, since my old mac can't do that at all.

P.S.: Heather, are you running Safari or Firefox? Safari has problems, but I've never had trouble accessing a web site through Firefox. I also hear that there is an IE emulation mode in Safari, though I don't know the details.

haunted author said...

I have a ThinkPad with Linux/Ubuntu- I like it fine, though I don't play computer games.

Luckily for me, my teenage son is a computer Geek, so I have in house Tech support- pretty cool.

Being a Teen Tech Geek is working for him- girls want to go out with him because he fixes their computers and downloads free software.