Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Yes, yes, I know I have international readers too. =) But for all those who are Americans, Happy 4th of July!

I try to stay away from being political or talking about government in general on this blog, unless someone or something has truly screwed up. But it is a national patriotic holiday today, so I figure that I can get away with saying a few words about why I like being an American. =)

So, in no particular order:

  1. Despite all the horror of the past seven years, politically, this is an election year--and whoever we get in the White House has to be better than George Bush. We've survived as a country for 232 years, despite having presidents like him. We are still here and we are still strong and that makes me proud. =)
  2. I get to assemble freely in public, I have freedom of speech and the press, and I get to fight for what I believe in without being thrown into jail. These are all good things.
  3. America has 50 states, and even though I've only been to 21 of them so far, they're all different in their own ways. Variety is the spice of life, right?
  4. Gay marriage in California and a few other states.
  5. Being able to make my own choices about my own body, as a woman.
  6. Being able to argue and have civilized discussions with people who I disagree with about points #4 and 5; that's a huge part of being an American.
  7. Nathan's hot dogs, Hershey's chocolate bars, and Smucker's grape jelly.
  8. Immigration, encouraged or not encouraged, which makes our country more diverse and happy, in various different ways. We were, almost all of us, immigrants--once.
  9. Baseball.
  10. Broadway.
  11. And finally, being a young enough country still that we can make our mistakes, learn from them, and move forward.
Enjoy the fireworks. =)


Nancy D'Inzillo said...

Despite the fact that I spent most of the time wondering if it would be better NOT to be an American, I absolutely agree with all your reasons to appreciate being one! I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more when His-Royal-Pain-in-the-Butt-(I-don't-realize-I'm-not-His-Majesty) is out of office!

I'd also have to agree that having civilized discussions with people who disagree with you is highly under-rated. Free speech meanings hearing the views you don't like along with the ones you do, after all.

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of civilized disagreement:
Point 4. As someone who once was, but is no longer, racked by homosexual compulsion, I only wish that more people know that human sexuality is fluid, not fixed, and that there is a fundamental difference in romantic relationships between members of the same sex and members of the opposite sex — there is a depth to heterosexual unions that from the complementary differences of the sexes.
Point 5. Your body was also your body when it was in your mother's womb.

David said...

I worry quite seriously about some of those items going away if John ("Did I mention that I was a POW?") McCain gets elected.

Going away more than they already have.

Jenny Rappaport said...

anonymous, actually yes, it was my body when I was in my mother's womb. But according to Judaism, life doesn't fully occur until most of the human head emerges from the womb. Meaning, I wasn't a full-fledged human being until I was born.

And to each his own beliefs. =)

I have good friends who disagree with me on this issue, and I still completely respect their opinions on it.

Aimee said...

#7... do you eat those three all at once? ;)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You forgot one at #7.

Heinz Ketchup.


Otherwise, I'm with you and if I'm not, I'm keeping my mouth shut and stuffed with Hershey's chocolate instead. Hope your fireworks rocked.

Scott said...

Great list.

And, as much as I agree about Nathan's hot dogs and Smucker's jelly, I have to respectfully disagree about Hershey's chocolate, which I find inedible. But, we Americans are allowed to disagree about this kind of thing, so I'll gladly let you munch happily away on Hershey's and save that much more Dolfin, Lindt, and Ritter Sport for me.

Jenny Rappaport said...

scott, the finer chocolates are good too; I am particularly fond of Lindt truffles, if anyone so wanted to bribe me. =)

But Hershey's is the quintessential American chocolate, and even if you may not love it, it's good for what it is.

Scott said...

Lindt truffles are a staple at our house. So if we ever have the opportunity to share a chocolate feast, we can start there. I'd even accept a share of your Hershey's, if we could follow it with some Ritter Sport Edelbitter.