Saturday, August 02, 2008

Hit over the head with a brick

Mea culpa...

I really did intend to start the Question Time answer posts on Wednesday, but it didn't happen. And then I was going to do it on Thursday, but I had to go to the doctor to discuss my fun triglycerides results (still not good.). Wait, it gets better. Because then I got to take a new medication for the triglycerides on Friday, something called Tricor, which works on your VLDL (very-low-density lipoproteins).....

.... and oh good lord, Tricor does not agree with me. I feel like I've been hit over the head with a brick, for lack of a better term. Major dizzy spells, chills, sweating, extreme tiredness.... after sleeping for like 16 hours(maybe more?), I'm sure as hell not taking it today or Sunday. I have contacted the doctor, who I'm sure will get back to me on Monday, so never fear.

And after sleeping for most of Friday and Saturday, I actually feel a lot better. But that's why the posts haven't been written yet. So give me some time to get some dinner (or should it be breakfast?) into me, and I'll start writing the backlog of them tonight. =)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny, I actually sell Tricor (I'm a drug rep trying to be a writer, go figure) and the symptoms you are describing aren't consistent with most Tricor side effects(Unless you are allergic,which is very rare)...maybe you have a virus?

Anyway, just wanted to give you a little piece of mind until your doc gets back to you on Monday. I hope you feel better!!!

Jenny Rappaport said...

Actually, the dizziness is a side effect of the Tricor; both the pharmacy and the Mayo Clinic warn against it. The other things could be interactions with other medications I take, although the drug theoretically shouldn't interact with anything else I'm on.

But thank you for the peace of mind. =)

Kristine Overbrook said...

Did you contact the pharmacy after the side effects started? My daughter had a drug reaction and the doc office said for her to keep taking it until she came in, but the pharmacy said to stop immediately.

I listened to the pharmacist. Good thing too, because she was having the beginnings of what would have been a life threatening reaction.

Being as you stopped, it's not a big deal for you to call if you haven't already...but I find that doctors are not as knowledgeable about medications as they should be. I always contact our pharmacist to be on the safe side.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, some agents are nice people! Here you are suffering, yet you apologize to us that you haven't been timely in offering us your free advice!

Hope you feel better soon and hope you find a better (at least less painful) way to lower those pesky whatchamacallits!

Jill said...

Hope you feel better, Jenny.
Jill

Ryan Field said...

I hate side effects. And I'm one of those people who get side effects when I take anything.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried fish oil caplets? They did a fine job lowering my husband's triglyceride levels--unfortunately did nothing for his cholesterol.
(For that, he takes Zetia. He had no luck with any of the statins, felt flu-like symptoms because of them...has had good luck/success with Zetia thus far.)

Hope you feel better.

Melissa (Ivory25) said...

Hey it's Melissa, I've decided to read your blog more often (especially since Bill thinks he's going to be a writer now, someday he'll finish that book!). Anyway ... if you are not on metformin and can get on it ... do so, dropped my triglycerides instantly. Also, lower your carb intake. It seems weird, but increased insulin (which happens in us insulin resistant with PCOS types) leads to high triglycerides. Trust the biologist!

Jenny Rappaport said...

Hey Melissa!!!

Yeah, I'm on met already, and it's not doing too much. Also on Lovaza, which are lovely oil pills of doom. =P

Melissa said...

Oil pills of doom, hehe! I don't love pills so I take Coromega, fish oil flavored gel stuff, mm, yummy!