Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Last One for 4 Years

Unless we have some sort of national disaster (and knock on wood that it doesn't happen!), this is the last political post that LIT SOUP will see for four years, with the exception of the annual "Get your ass out the door and vote" posts. =)

I am so incredibly proud of my country right now that I haven't stopped smiling since yesterday night. I was at my parents' house and got to watch the numbers come in across the country with my mom, and to just hear the commentators crying on live TV... amazing.

I am proud that our country has finally elected a black man.

I am even more proud that Senator John McCain gave one of the classiest concession speeches I have ever heard in my entire life, and that you could tell he meant every word of it. I will never agree with some of his political positions, but he has earned my respect as a decent human being.

I am proud that if you watched to the very end of Barack Obama's acceptance speech last night, both Joe Biden's mother and Michelle Obama's mother were brought out on stage and applauded by the crowd. They are of the generations that came before us, and that kept America going, so that I can live here, my children will be able to live here, and my grandchildren will be able to live here.

I am looking forward to the next four years.

And I am looking forward to the fact that one day, in my lifetime, an intelligent and competent woman will be elected President of the United States of America.

My mother never thought that an African-American man would be elected President this early in her lifetime (she is in her 50s). Anything is possible.

In the meantime, I now own a copy of today's New York Times, which I'm going to save to show to my grandchildren, decades from now.

Thank you, America, for making history. =)


acereporter73 said...


This was a game-changing election. The cheers shall resound in the hills for many days to come. Beyond the personal pride I felt, this election made it clear that America can choose leaders based on their merits and strengths.

I am sure we will soon see women serving as President as well as people of all ethnicities rising to that post.

I hope history also remembers John McCain's concession speech. While I may not favor his politics, he spoke with the kind of dignity we should all acknowledge.

Ryan Field said...

I'm happy too.

Kristine Overbrook said...

My son and I stayed up until ten watching the returns. Only ten because he's in middle school.

I stayed up to watch them call it, and as the world cheered, I'm not ashamed to say I shed some tears. :) I'm filled with hope for the future.

I woke my son up this morning with "He won." Needless to say we all started the day on the bright side.

Deaf Brown Trash Punk said...



Tanya said...

I'm so amazed and SO happy! Such an amazing night--I'm still tingling.

L.C.McCabe said...

Yes We Can.

lotusloq said...

I watched the whole thing all night. I cried in both McCain's concession speech (that was so heartfelt and honestly respectful of Obama) and Obama's acceptance speech (that has stirred a nation to hope).

It was amazing to see history in action.

Miss Sharp said...

I'm deleting your site from my "favorites" and I won't be querying you when my manuscript is complete.

You've shown such bad judgment with these political rants that I can't imagine working with you.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Jenny Rappaport said...

Miss Sharp, if you can't see yourself working with me, then it is likely I can't see myself working with you.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your writing career, and your querying of other agents.

Yasmine Galenorn said...

Jenny, that's okay--don't mind the departure of one reader. I had a reader write to me last week stating she was returning the four books she just bought to the store simply because I had a banner on my site stating "VOTE--I vote because I can, I vote because I care. Use your right to vote or you may lose your right to vote."

That's it. No Obama banners (and yes, I was thrilled with the election, and so proud of this country), no 'vote MY way' notations. Just a banner reminding people to vote.

I sincerely doubt she'd bought 4 of my books blindly, without knowing what I was like as an author, but it's worth the loss. While I will be diplomatic, I will never stifle my freedom to state that I believe firmly we should all do our part.

truthfindsu said...

I truly believe we have a civic duty to research every candidate and choose the best person that will do the most for our family, our country. I vote for the person, the ideology...not the party. I am a Native American and very proud of the fact that a person of color CAN be elected to the highest political office in our country.

But I am absolutely appalled to hear that so many people registered for the first time, and voted for Obama because of the color of his skin.

Does anyone realize that Bush doesn't have absolute power? Our government is not a dictatorship. He hasn't been the sole person to cause the decline in our economy. We have a Democratic Congress who has attached obscene amounts of pork barrell funding to every possible bill that they have passed. Look at how much money passed hands on the last stimulus bill. How can anyone complain about our jobs being shipped overseas? Companies have been allowed to close American factories to open up shop in foreign countries to take advantage of cheap labor. Could that be because Clinton bamboozled us with NAFTA and free trade? Ross Perot warned us that the giant sucking noise we heard was American jobs being sucked out of the country? Does anyone realize that the Democratic Congress has an even lower approval rating than Bush?

I totally agree that our country needs change. But I honestly believe Obama was elected for the color of his skin and the historic value. He is a first term Senator without experience in massive budgets, foreign policy or any type of employee management. Sure he speaks a good game...he's charismatic and has great speech writers. Do you know what his platform was to win his Senate seat? Lower taxes...did he? No. Taxes increased for people making over $42K.

I'm sorry. Part of his platform is spread the wealth. Why in the world should I get up at 5am every day and work my butt off to pay more taxes so someone else can reap the benefits of my labor.

I am also deleting your site. But then obviously have enough clients to pay your bills or you wouldn't have chosen to use your business to push a political agenda.

BJ said...

Politics (and the discussion of such) is a rather silly way to choose an agent. Even sillier (or, should I say, less wise) is stating this choice on a blog where the whole industry can see.

I've seen such petty judgments before, though. I found a discussion in a forum about a pretty successful agent, castigating her because she used *gasp!* humour on her professional website.

People will make their decisions on whatever they feel is important, but it's pretty unprofessional to express it on a blog like this.

Jenny Rappaport said...

I find it silly that people are using politics as a way to choose an agent, as well, BJ.

I voted for Obama not because he is an African-American, but because I agreed with his policies and his plans far more than I agreed with John McCain's. The color of his skin doesn't matter to me; I find it's often that way with people under the age of about 45 or so. It's a generational gap.

I also find it amusing that by posting two separate posts on a blog that has so rarely been about actual agenting content that I am now using my business to push a political agenda.

BJ said...

You know, I just read the last paragraph of my last post. (sigh) I honestly meant that it was silly to post a comment on the blog that one was leaving because of politics.

I mean, what does anyone really care? I don't see *any* agent running around in circles waving their hands over their heads and crying, "Oh no! Oh no! What am I going to do? Some chickie who hasn't even got a completed novel to sell doesn't want me for her agent! Maybe I should just change my mind about my politics! While I'm at it, I'll change religions, too, and go live in a convent, because my career can't survive such a blow!"

And I don't see any other readers of this blog giving a damn, either. So, to get to the point of my verbal diarrhea:

So what?

Jill Elaine Hughes said...

Jeez, what is the matter with some of these people? Talk about closed-minded, hate-mongering idiots.

You're better off without those readers. (and writers).