Saturday, February 07, 2009


Note the use of hashtag, so that when this goes onto Twitter, it will be properly picked up by the search feed. I feel very social-media/high-tech oriented, using it. =)

My eyes are still struggling to adjust properly to having watched the 3D version of "Coraline", but suffice it to say, it was AWESOME. I did not get a headache or feel sick, like other people I know; the 3D effect is disorienting though, and I can understand why that would happen. But given my past history with first-person shooters, where I get extreme vertigo and can't play them... let's say I was very pleasantly surprised that I didn't get sick while watching the movie.

I cannot remember whether they ever released a 3D version of "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids", although I have a vague recollection of seeing one, although that might have been part of a ride at Disney World. The last 3D movie that I have a distinct memory of seeing was "Captain Eo" starring Michael Jackson, which I saw in 1988 at the age of seven. The technology has improved immensely. =)

Overall, "Coraline" was incredibly creepy, incredibly well-animated and acted, and just a wonderful movie. I am so happy that someone managed to finally nail Neil Gaiman's literary vision onto the moving screen. I did wish that the mice sang in the actual film; I do think they sang in the credits, but I remember loving them singing in the book. I can't locate my actual copy of the book right now, and I suspect that it's in one of the fifteen or so boxes of books I have yet to unpack. (Why yes, we've been living here three years already; I have a lot of books...)

But anyway, can someone with a ready copy of the book handy, verify for me whether the mice in the novel version sang? That's my burning question now. =)

If you can go out and see it though, I highly recommend you do so. And if you've seen it, leave your opinion of it in the comments!


Don said...

The 3D Honey I Shrunk the Kids thing was, in fact, a Disney ride, Honey I Shrunk the Audience. As I recall it's in Epcot at Disneyworld and in the old Captain Eo space at Disneyland.

Amanda said...

I read the book last fall, and I believe the mice do sing. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, but I probably won't risk it in 3-D. I get sick if I'm not sitting in the back couple rows of the theatre! (shows you how weak my stomach is)

Laurel Amberdine said...

Everyone in the car on the way back was complaining about the lack of singing mice, so I'm pretty sure they sang!

(Haven't read the book.)

Lorin said...

If I recall correctly, the mice play instruments - the rats sing. You can read coraline online here

HIstorical Author said...


I am trying to understand how your internship thing works. At the moment, I am very confused.

I read her livejournal, and I get the impression that she decides if she wants to see a partial based on the query, and then decides if she wants to see a full based on the partial. Does that mean that unless she likes the full, you never see the manuscript? Or am I missing something?


Jenny Rappaport said...

Jodi is an assistant, not an intern, at this point.

The process works pretty much how you describe it, except there are certain things that get automatic passes up to me. Jodi reads for my taste, not hers, and she has a very good ability to tell good writing.

If she requests something and the passes on it, there's about a 99% chance that I would do the exact same thing.