Friday, February 06, 2009

Guest Blog from Smart Bitch Sarah!

I have a treat for you today! While is undergoing maintenance, Smart Bitch Sarah has written an awesome guest post for LIT SOUP. She's currently undergoing blog withdrawal, so I'm happy I can offer her a space to blog today. Enjoy! =)

Written by Smart Bitch Sarah

LitSoup! WordUp!

Ok: off the top of my head guest post:

In response to this post:

Here's my totally amateur opinion: yes, more novels, yes, more people writing... and yes, more people serializing and self-publishing online and on paper. Yes, more people creating in general. I think that the faltering economy will cause a divide in how people conceive of their careers, in that people will do two things with their time: a job that isn't necessarily a Career Of Great Ambition, and then their true passion, the writing or creating they do on the side.

I think in the last 20+ years there's been a tremendous increase in pressure on college grads to BE your job, and acquire status socially and professionally through one convenient venue: employment. Creativity hasn't been as valued as much as straight up profit, and I think the economy taking a nosedive will divide interests among many people into two concurrent categories:

1. What is the thing that I do that provides income, and oh, Please, God, health benefits?
2. What is the thing that I do that makes me happy?

A lucky few will get both through one occupation, but many don't. So will that mean more novels and more fiction? Hope so. But I think that the increase will bring new venues through which people will share and publish their creativity, and that part, particularly the use of the internet in new and tricksy ways, will be the most interesting to see.

I predict: Web 3.0 - networking through creativity, only with MORE MORE MORE awesomeness.


Ed Greaves said...


Do you think the effect of more authors relying on second careers for their benefits and primary income will slow down the "cycle" of having to pump out at least one book per year in order to "maintain marketability" for an author? Or do you think audience expecations will stick with the 9-12 month cycle, and demand that authors figure out how to juggle two careers to meet those expectations?

Kwana said...

Interesting predictions. I hope for more awesomeness and an upturn to this economy. More openness to creativity. Less fear.

Jill Elaine Hughes said...

Cool post. I think the recent Time magazine article on the future of the novel is also quite possible (and scary)---i.e., tons of people writing their novels and putting them out on the Web to be passed around on people's iPhones and Kindles---for no money.

So I think there will be a lot more people writing novels and "publishing" them in various ways, but a lot fewer people actually making a living at it. And those who will make a living at it will probably have to crank out 6-7 titles a year in order to compete.